Best $1000 guitar?

Colnago

I’ve got $1000 max to blow on a guitar. I’ve searched and have narrowed my list.
If you had the $1000, what guitar would you get and why?

andy474x

For me, one of the PRS S2 Standard models, no question. $1K will get you a new satin model, or a used gloss finished model. Disclaimer, I am a big PRS fan. But, every time I compare them in shop to a Gibson or Fender, they are consistently better QC and by far more resonant and full sounding. I tried a couple satin LP tributes last week and they sounded like rubber bands on a yard stick, not to mention the lacerations from fret ends. Then I played the Standard 22, and one of the employees stopped me to tell me how much he loved it, too. If it's your kind of thing spec-wise, you can't go wrong.

Meals

If you look hard enough you could find a used Fender 52 Reissue Telecaster. A used older model PRS CE would fall in that range, too.

tonedover

Silver Supporting Member
For me, one of the PRS S2 Standard models, no question. $1K will get you a new satin model, or a used gloss finished model. Disclaimer, I am a big PRS fan. But, every time I compare them in shop to a Gibson or Fender, they are consistently better QC and by far more resonant and full sounding. I tried a couple satin LP tributes last week and they sounded like rubber bands on a yard stick, not to mention the lacerations from fret ends. Then I played the Standard 22, and one of the employees stopped me to tell me how much he loved it, too. If it's your kind of thing spec-wise, you can't go wrong.
i gotta say, i got a satin Vela this year (part of the S2 line) and its fantastic. i really really think the S2 line bares consideration for a unique $1k instrument choice. i echo the above statement about the quality of the S2, made in usa but still affordable

if ur looking more “traditional” choices, id go with a used Gibson LP Studio, easily attainable under a grand.
ive never understood doubling the price of an instrument to add binding

Fender American Tele or Stratocaster.. there’s probably many variations of each of those in that range.

ESP Eclipse

Gibson SG Standard

Gibson Firebird, Explorer, Flying V

Gibson Les Paul Junior, Studio, Tribute..

PRS S2

Plus a plethora of others but those listed are the popular ones among the bunch..

Last edited:
Check out Hamers made in the U.S.
I have a Diablo II (3 pickup version and they are as versatile as they are underrated - you can split the humbuckers).
And they often come in way under $1000.
If you like Strats, check out their Daytona.
They have other models - all bargains given the quality - make sure you are looking at something from the 90's or earlier.
Take a long look at their lineup - all are built like tanks.

VaughnC

Supporting Member
Never heard of a "Best" guitar. But I like what I like in wine, women, & song...and I wouldn't want any of you's guys picking any of them for me;). Listen to your inner voice!

FWIW though...the last time I went running the racks for a guitar a few years ago, I had $5k in my GAS account and my inner voice chose a particular, sub $1k, Fender, MIM Strat...and she's still #1 in the harem today:). But there were lots of dogs at all price points & manufacturers to weed through to find a gem. And wood being wood and inconsistent, each individual guitar needs to be judged on its own merits...so stating a preference for a specific manufacturer or model is meaningless.

Last edited:

pedalparty

New my favorites are
Reverend Charger 290
Fender Classic Player JM (followed by a pickup swap)
Fender Baja Tele 50's
Fender Classic Player 60's Strat

Benderp

So you liked Gibson before you tried it?

Texsunburst59

I'd go used, and I'd try to find a Core PRS Custom 22 or 24, or a Gibson LP Standard.

The deals are out there,but you'd have to some time and energy to hunt these type of deals down.

Pawnshops or CL would be your best bet to find the best guitar for YOU, for your $1000 max limit.

Trending Topics