Best $1000 guitar?

trl

I played a used charvel San Dimas last week and it was a solid guitar, had I not known it was under 1k I would of assumed it was much more expensive.

jerryratpack

Gold Supporting Member
MIM fender player's strat. It's basically an american standard strat now.
Players Strat MIM.
I just picked one of these up with the Memorial day Discount...HSS and I love it ! I like the pups both clean and overdriven, Made very well, no flaws that I can see. Go it brand new under 600 Bucks ! Really great guitar

I was looking around for a thicker neck, but comfy, and this one fits great for me.

markmann

If I was in the market for another 1000 guitar I would buy another Reverend. Love my Kingbolt. I've played different models and they were all great.

Dale

Gibson SG Standard

Fender American Tele or Stratocaster.. there’s probably many variations of each of those in that range.

ESP Eclipse

Gibson SG Standard

Gibson Firebird, Explorer, Flying V

Gibson Les Paul Junior, Studio, Tribute..

PRS S2

Plus a plethora of others but those listed are the popular ones among the bunch..

Gibson SG here as well.

erikzen

Used American Telecaster or Stratocaster. If you already have those, a Les Paul Special.

NunoVanbamsteen

Supporting Member
I found a Levinson Blade RH-4 and it was the best G note I ever spent on a guitar.
I will put it up against any strat for fit, finish, playability and versatility. LOVE that guitar!

Nsomniac

Supporting Member
If I had a grand to buy a guitar off the rack, I'd buy a model that I've always wanted to try because they seem really interesting: Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas, or EVH Wolfgang Special.
If I was spending the money to get my only guitar to play, I would partscaster and build something cool.

Imerkat

If you had the $1000, what guitar would you get and why?
If there is one guitar, it would be a used Gibson Firebird Non-reverse Studio. 3 P-90's, Coil Split, great release value. I would install a Free way switch and get the pickup configuration of a Strat and Les Paul; doesn't get better than that:

Last edited:

NunoVanbamsteen

Supporting Member
I think the Ibanez Prestige models are an excellent buy. You can find them used from 500 on the beat up end to 1k for like new. You can always spend more, but the RG1550, 1570, 2550,2570,3550,3570 can all be found for under a grand if you're patient and looking. Made in Japan and great quality. I'd also champion the Edwards line from ESP, quality build and electronics. They use Duncan pups mostly and their stuff is will made. I've owned 3 and still have a Les Paul from them and it has served me well for years.

Schafrocks

I still like the concept and the heritage, it’s just the execution on those sub-$2K instruments that has never met my expectations. I’m really hoping the new CEO will usher in a new and better era for Gibson. I don’t have an axe to grind with the brand, in fact if I had found a really good one in the last 8 or so years that I’ve on-and-off looked, I would’ve bought it.

I’ve heard guys say the higher end guitars are better, and they probably are, I’m just not at a place in life that I want to spend that much on a guitar.
It’s been a few years but I was in guitar center and played most of the Les Paul models from CS all the way down to the satin model that was like $799. Can’t remember the exact model name on that one. I was actually pretty impressed with the whole line as far as sound and playability. And, I always tweak the action on any guitar I get and I didn’t find one that was unacceptable. This was like 5 guitars. And was really impressed with the sound and playability of the Satin model. Beat the heck out of a ton of other guitars in that price range.

i gotta say, i got a satin Vela this year (part of the S2 line) and its fantastic. i really really think the S2 line bares consideration for a unique $1k instrument choice. i echo the above statement about the quality of the S2, made in usa but still affordable
I’m so pleased to see this answer in the first few replies. IMO the S2 line, and the Vela in particular are some of the best guitars out there right now in the “not a lawyer guitar” category. I’ve been GASsing for a Vela a lot this year, and will pick one up soon for sure

Trending Topics