best 15" speaker for a 5E3 Combo

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
I'm awfully close to finally getting my next amp.
After a lot of emails to Jim @ Little Dawg and Mike @ the AmpCabCo, I'm leanin' towards a 5E3 Little Dawg D-Lux (14 Watts) in a 5E5A/Pro size cab with a 15" speaker.

Now I need to decide what it the best speaker for the job. Should I get a Weber Alnico Blue Dog ($185) the Ceramic Blue Dog ($100), a Weber 15-A150 (Alnico) an Eminence Big Ben ($100) or something else?

I want to keep some clean headroom (I know, the 5E3 circuit isn't known for headroom). I will be playing a Tele looking for Twang and Rockabilly stuff (with some slapback added in here and there).

Thanks for any input you can give.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Emi Legend 151. Neutral to slightly scooped mids on this one. Lots of top end but balanced well.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I second the alnico with tweed. If you want a lot of volume and as much clean overhead as you can, find a JBL D130. They sound great with tweed. Otherwise the Jensen clone is where you want to be: Weber makes killer ones.

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions so far. One thing I love about sites like this is the education and opinions I can always count on.

DanD

Whats the doping do?

Doping helps to kill cone cry.

Ceramic magnet speakers sound good in tweed amps too, with no doping at all.
I'm using 4 - SpeakerWarehouse jensen clone 10's in my 59 clone and they sound wonderful. Nice round fat bass, thick mids, and chimey highs.

Good luck,

DanD

sabby

Silver Supporting Member
I'll go against the grain. How about a 15x150B or a 15" Blue Dog if you need more volume? I think a 15A150 is too dark for a 5E3. Also, I'd go ceramic if you want a more dynamic rocking tone, alnico if you want bluesy compression.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom