Best $19 I ever spent.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Billy_B, Jun 19, 2019.

1. RBH

RBH Member

Cheaper than a volume pedal - I guess, unless you already own one.

2. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I always hated the touchy volume knob on my Hot Rod Deluxe. A gadget like this was a life-saver. Glad they make more solid versions of them now. Mine was a little janky.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a better fix for that jumpy volume knob (linear taper, comes on fast from "off") is to replace it with an audio taper pot, which comes up slowly from "off". i think the new HR deluxes finally did that.

scolfax likes this.
  4. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

Sure does for me. About 90% reactive load and the last 10% is the volume box. The glass and iron get to sweat and my wife gets to sleep.

Just now: Pink Taco combo. 2nd gain setting. gain and master both on 5 and a BE-OD in front.. Attenuator at -20dB (room is only 10x12 and I have neighbors above and along 1 wall). I set the amp for a nice Plexi grind and then hit the pedal for the more modern OD. As it gets later I just inch down the volume box. Perfect!

5. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

I've been using a KTR in one of my loops for a while - mainly with my Two Rock GM35, so it precedes the FTT Ambi-Space I run at the end of the loop. It lets me get decent low-gain tone down to levels you can just about talk over.

It's not always on; and when it is, it's as often used as a boost as it is a level-reducer. So it's another useful shaping tool, to be sure; though it is a bit more than $19, unfortunately.

6. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

this is incorrect.

7. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I've used my JamMan Stereo in my effects loop for this for many years. Input knob controls volume and I have the extra benefit of saving loops for practice or keeping song ideas. I've also used a Dano EQ for this.

On the flip side, I bought one of the Carl's Custom volume boxes and it had a significant impact on my tone and really dulled the signal. It also took me a long time to return it as contact was not good. So IME not all are the same and benefit from some kind of buffer or input preamp circuit to maintain tone.

I should also add that my amps have this feature on the effects loop and I use both to control overall volume on my basement because they are 100 watt monsters. I don't use the looper or eq device in my loop on stage.

8. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for not helping?

The small black box on his pedal board is an E.W.S. Subtile Volume Control (SVC) which Scott designed as an alternative to a standard volume pedal. It's plugged into the amp FX loop so he can control his volume without affecting the gain.

http://www.scotthenderson.net/

Kurdt, scolfax and batsbrew like this.
  9. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

now THAT was helpful.

10. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

Eh? "Incorrect"? Then "helpful"? Maybe I'm just hard of understanding.

Sorry, but I'm totally lost here - I thought the EWS really is a loop vol control that SH uses on the floor, as per the post by @rollyfoster. Did I miss something?

scolfax likes this.
  11. Jaji

Jaji Member

I've used these on both my Electra Dyne and Vai Legacy 1. Worked very well! For a brief time, I also used rack units for effects and turned down the volume on the rack unit and had the same results. The Dyne's master volume goes from too quiet to too loud so quickly, these workarounds saved my volume issues right away.

12. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

no, but i wouldn't worry about it.

13. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Silver Supporting Member

Sorry for the thread hijack, I have a Subway with parallel loop and level knob. Is it as simple as one patch cable into send and return? I thought with parallel, the original signal passes thru no matter what? Sorry for my ignorance

14. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Supporting Member

Splawn uses a similar concept, with a effects loop volume knob. Works excellent. I have a "volume box" I bought off Ebay years ago. Volume pedal in the loop works also, or any outboard gear with a volume control.

15. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

Rivera's have an efx loop send and return volume/level control-on most all their amps

16. Billy_B

I think you're correct - 2 paths. one wet/one straight thru

JasonElGato likes this.
  17. evildik

evildik Member

I recently grabbed one of the JHS versions. Works well. Per an earlier post, I’ve also gone into a clean amp that was cooking and used the volume knob on the dirt pedal to control overall volume.

Both sound better to my ears than having the output volume on the amp itself turned down low. Much more “alive” using either of this methods.

18. rollyfoster

:dunno:dunno

19. Billy_B

The confusion is that Scott's is not in the FX loop of an amp.

20. rollyfoster

peter_heijnen likes this.