Best $19 I ever spent.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Billy_B, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

@rollyfoster you're right. After reading some more he's using two of them. One in the loop
    and the other on a line out. My bad.

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

His line out is a Suhr iso box so he can send his entire amp’s signal from the speaker out through his wet effects in a separate amp.

His dry signal is in the 4x12 and reverb/delay is totally wet in a fender deluxe off to the side so the time based stuff doesn’t clutter the guitar/amp interaction.

https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-tools/suhr-iso-line-out/

3. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

I use a Volume Pedal as we did in the racks days. Also most amps have a return level which have an effects loop.
    It will work best in amps that have preamp distortion or on my pedalboard I use the Volume right after drives. Noting to do with output section saturation though.

bluesoul and JasonElGato like this.
  4. Billy_B

I'm simply dense. I've been using FX loops with amps and racks for decades and never once thought of using them as the place to taper off a bit of overall volume.

5. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Kind of like the Mesa Mark IIb be volume pedal thing. It does work well with certain amps.

6. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

If you have a 19" multi fx laying around - who hasn't? ;) - it will do the same trick. Set the correct input gain and then set the output as low as you need to.

Same can be done with any cheap mixer or any pedal with an output level pot on it, if it can handle the amps send levels.

The little volume pedal that Scott Henderson uses is a different animal. It has limited range and was originally meant to have better control of dynamics. These days he uses it to control the full wet fx levels in his dry/wet rig.

7. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Love my volume pedals after gain. Makes swells with effects so juicy. Also great for practicing at a low volume with your tones figuring out parts with the other players

8. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Not to mention on the fly volume adjustments live. I like having my master volume at my feet. After fighting with broken strings for years, I got the Lehle volume pedal that’s a buffer and uses magnets instead of a pot. It sensitive, but I love it.

LehleSupport likes this.
  9. Nuclear Plexi

Nuclear Plexi Member

Would this work with the Bella?

10. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Better than a $19 boutique beer you say?

In all seriousness, I now use MFX for this exact scenario.

Firstly they’re buffered so they work better with passive loops and you obviously get a great level control and delay verb EQ etc. I have a pot box as well but it frequently isn’t great compared to the MFX. Even a cheap Boss GT-1 is great.

They don’t work as well in all amps. Some get dark, some lose touch, some get fizzy or dull. But they are a great addition nonetheless.

11. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

The cable or jacks have to be modified for this to work. I did this with a DC3.

[​IMG]

I hope it's okay to share this. It's not mine and it's from another forum.

JasonElGato likes this.
  12. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Silver Supporting Member

That's freakin cool, thanks for the info!!

13. Billy_B

That's cool but if I'm reading it right, it doesn't allow you to also use the loop for FX.

14. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

The clean channel volume on my Crate VC3112 is the same way. I've wired a pot into the insert jack to achieve the same thing and it works. One of those passive mixer boxes will do the same thing - just use one channel on it.

scolfax likes this.
  15. PorkChop

PorkChop Member

OP I’m curious as to how you are routing this psycally. What’s your setup. This is obviously mounted to your desk or you have a unique amp. I’m planning out my little home studio space and am interested in what is working for you. Thanks.

16. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Most VHT/Fryettte Amps with Loops have this.

I always used as a solo boost (opposite of you).

Great feature.

17. rmg471

rmg471 Member

18. Billy_B

Mounted to the underside of the top shelf on my desk. The 2 boxes I use in the loop are on the same shelf right above. amp loop send > delay > verb > volume box > loop return. The loop is serial.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  19. LPVM

LPVM Member

I've been using a 25k ohm EB Jr. volume pedal EXACTLY this way, at the end of my signal chain in the efx loop for a couple of years. It's true, it makes your MV work really well. You can get some great low volume tone going while everyone in the house is asleep.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  20. tonyhay

tonyhay Member