• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Best 1x12 cab you’ve ever played through?

blessedkoala

Hope everyone is staying safe.

Despite wanting a 2x12 or 4x12 for my studio space to play through, the second I need to load up and move it around, I start to think:

is there a 1x12 guitar cab that sounds bigger than it actually is?

so I want to ask you fellow TGPers your experience. Have you ever played through 1x12 cab that blew you away?

What was the cab and speaker?
what amp head were you playing through?
What surprised you the most about it?

I’d love to hear! I just purchased a Friedman 1x12 Small Box cab with a Creamback 65 from Sweetwater. Hopefully it’s good!

PaisleyWookie

Mesa Boogie 1x12 widebody closed-back/ported. 23" wide, comes stock with C90 (I've got one) or any speaker they carry (I've also got a V30 one). I think it's really big sounding for the size, and two of them stacked is amazing.

Darkburst

Bogner and Friedman have similar ported 1x12 cabs that punch above their class. Full without the boxy quality many 1x12 cabs have.

Silver Supporting Member
I have no idea what might be the best for you but I think you can hardly go wrong with any of the cabs from Mesa. Also, if possible, consider buying two 112s. One closed and one open. You should get the benefit of some versatility by having both options. You might also consider starting a small speaker stash. Lot’s of great options out there.

Last edited:

PaisleyWookie

I have no idea what might be the best for you but I think hardly go wrong with any of the cabs from Mesa. Also, if possible, consider buying two 112s. One closed and one open. You should get the benefit of so versatility by having both options. You might also consider starting a small speaker stash. Lot’s of great options out there.
I 90% agree, however I am not at all a fan of the Mini Recto cabs. They're just too damn small and boxy, IMO. However, I've also got the 1x12 Lonestar OB, and it's amazing as well. Between the three cabs, I've got tons of choices. I am seriously considering a different speaker in the LS-OB though; perhaps a Gold or Alnico Cream.

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve got a Mesa Lonestar 23 1x12 that I’ve owned for about 10 years and it’s always sounded great no matter what amp I used it with, or what speaker I put in it. Mine is open back but you can get them closed back now as well. Great versatile all around 1x12.

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
honestly, ive never heard a well sealed 1x12 i didnt like.
i dont like open back or ported in a 1x12 - removes too much bass response

rizla

Silver Supporting Member
I gigged with the Mesa 1x12 three-quarter back for a while. It was a good cab, the C90 worked alright for me.
I used it with a LoneStar or a Fender 112 combo.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up a used oversized Randall RV112GB several months ago. It's stock with a Greenback and is a very well built, birch ply cab. For the money, its a great cab that sounds really good. I don't think they make them anymore, but I got this one used for, IIRC, $125. Cheap or not, I'm pretty happy with it.

IanRubbish

I love Mesa 1x12's, they sound massive, I have a closed back 1x12 with the C90, and. Lonestar Half Back with the Alnico Cream and they both have great punch. Ive had my eye on that Friedman you got for a while, very nice.

NashSG

Those Bogner cubes are really amazing. Never owned one, but I have heard a Shiva cranked on one and the low end is like a 4x12.

120db

I like the Matchless ESS 112 with the stock G12h but it's only good for 30 watts. I don't like those cabs with the oval cutout in the back, seems to emphasize the mids too much for me.

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
Pure 64 ported 1x12, with the custom ceramic speaker it came with originally. A very big, room filling sound for such a small, light cabinet.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Friedman and Bogner ported 1x12s are really great sounding. I have one of the PRS Tremonti 1x12 cabs coming in next week to match the head. Hope it sounds good as well.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
In general the oversized or OS 1x12’s sound bigger, but size-wise they are almost as big as a diagonal 2x12 so there’s that. In a smaller cab the Forte-style 1x12 sounded amazing but they are pretty heavy. My keeper is a now discontinued Port City 1x12. Sounds amazingly big and open despite being a ported, closed back cab.

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
I've been through a bunch of 1x12 cabs and my Mesa Thiele is the best. By far. It sounds huge (and has great low frequency extension) but also has a truly musical tone that doesn't overwhelm with fizz or weird cab effects. Sounds great with the C90 or my Avatar/Fane H75, and I hear they sound the best with an EVM12L but haven't tried that yet.

Mesa Boogie 1x12 widebody closed-back/ported. 23" wide, comes stock with C90 (I've got one) or any speaker they carry (I've also got a V30 one). I think it's really big sounding for the size, and two of them stacked is amazing.
Good deal! I've got one of those widebody closed back/ported cabs on order (I'm getting antsy). If it's at least about as good as the Thiele I have, I'll be perfectly pleased with it.

Trending Topics