Best 1x12 Combo for pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oxtone, Dec 23, 2005.

1. oxtone

oxtone Member

Hey all,

Just want to get your opinions. I've been hauling around an 85 Lb. four space rack for years (Mesa Studio/Simul 2:90), and the rig sounds huge with two 1x12 cabs.

However, I'm getting older, and don't have a roadie, so I'd like to find an all tube 1x12 combo with lots of clean headroom that takes overdrive (Radial Tonebone Classic) and other pedals well, and would sound great. I use lots of Delay, Phase 90, Supatrem, Reverb, Microvibe, Wa, etc. pedals, and would like to just plug them straight into the amp.

I've been using a Peavey Classic 30 for years, but it is unreliable and problematic. It also gets very, very hot if left on too long.

So, I'm looking for a good, hand-wired combo. What do you think?
    Vox, Savage, Fender, Carr, Star, Matchless, /13, 65 amps, etc...?

2. tclardy

tclardy Member

I can tell you that a Carr Rambler would be a good choice. They are lightweight, and have two power settings. Has one of the best cleans I have heard. A decent amount of headroom too on the 28 watt setting. I have owned a classic 30 too and there is probably no comparison. My rambler sounded way better. And on the 14 watt setting it has a slightly different flavor, a little darker and tweedier sounding.

As far as pedals go it is a total pedal whore. I have used a Keeley TS-9, Tim, Zendrive, Mosferatu, Ocd, Katana, and a Keeley Ds-1 in front of it and they sounded great. It is not hard at all to match pedals to this amp, it is not in anyway finicky.

Has very lush reverb and great temelo too and the build quality is first rate. Go to Carr amps website and hear some of the clips of Jason Barker playing one. Or go to steelbender.com and look at his articles, he plays a rambler as his main amp.

Tim

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

My current fave is also one I'd recommend for the above, though it's no longer made it still shows up every so often used: The VHT Pitbull 45.

I also love the Carr Rambler. I don't own one, but I've got it on my radar for 2006. I think it would make an excellent addition to the VHT PB...

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I thought the carr rambler sounded stiff.

The clean channel of the Fuchs ODS I had was wonderful with pedals as is the Pritchard Jade Dagger.

5. oxtone

oxtone Member

Thanks to all so far for your opinions. I've been playing 35 years, and once owned a Black Face Fender Deluxe, and Super Reverb, both great amps.

I'll stop by Willies American Guitars in St. Paul next week and try the Carr Rambler again. They are a Carr dealer, and often have a few in stock. They really like the Carr amps. I'll also try the Savage 12 watt again - I tried it at the Savage Audio shop last year, and it was pretty good. It also has a nice overdrive when you crank it. But, with no loop I'd use the Tonebone Classic, because my favorite effect is Delay.

The Fuchs is probaly way out of my price range, depending what I'd get If I sold all my current amps. I've met Andy Fuchs and his family - nice folks! He makes great amps. Just not sure if I'm after that "Dumble" like tone.

I've not heard of the Pritchard Jade Dagger. I'll Google it.

6. photoguy

photoguy Member

I picked up a Carr Rambler here on TGP last year. Couldn't be happier with it. I've got a few pedals, nothing fancy just your basic blue collar stuff, and it takes them all well.

7. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

The Groove Tubes Soul-o 45 is specifically designed with pedals in mind. A few live here at TGP, never heard a bad word.

gb

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

A 1x12 that is easy to lug around, is versatile and takes pedals really well?

Sounds like the tried and proven BFDR to me.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

for the fender tones, and a terrific pedal platform, i highly recommend a Fargen Blackbird. no doubt.

10. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Yes, the Fargen is supposed to be very good.

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Dr Z Z28 1x12 is a great sounding amp and absolutely bonds with pedals!!

12. kram21

kram21 Member

kjl makes a nice combo but even better they make a head with a compact cab with both a 1x12 and a 1x10 speaker in it and is readily portable and light

13. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

14. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Get either a Bruno CT 45 in a 1x12 format, or a Heritage Patriot in a 1x12 (they normally come in a 2x12, but will do a special order).
    An old Hiwatt 50 or 100 watt combo would also do the trick, though not quite as well .

The Heritage Victory takes pedals just as well as any of the above, but is only 22 watts, and has headroom similar to that of a BFDR. I'm assuming you're looking for more headroom than that, correct?

15. fractal

fractal Member

+1000, but then again, I'm getting mine soon, so I might be biased...

16. guitarguy3612

guitarguy3612 Senior Member

Hey Ox,

I live in St. Paul, attend Mcnally-Smith College of Music! Anyways, I would check out Willies like you said, maybe look into some of the Dr. Z amps they have...those are pretty cool. I would also say, head over to American Guitar Botique (same area, right off Snelling, just south of 94.) They are a great little shop, and carry Fuchs and Two Rocks. They didn't have a lot of the new stock in for Fuchs or Two Rock but he had an ODS head which would give some what of the flavor of the amp. He'll set you up in the private room in back and let you wail. They really take care of ya...I like them a little more than Willies crew. They also carry alot of other cool amps. Just have a look there.

Also, over at Willies check out the '97 Matchless Cheiftan 1x12 looks pretty neat. They also have a Victoria Tweed 2x12 of sorts that looks pretty sweet as well.

May also want to look into a Fender Vibroking. I love that amp...if I didn't have a Two Rock CR that would be the other amp for me.

17. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

The VK will color your tone in the same manner a Super Reverb will. I would have to second the recommendation of the GT Soul-O or maybe a Fender Twin or Dual Professional. The VK and SR's tones are truly extraordinary but as a base for a full pedalboard I would find them lacking.

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

guitarguy3612,

Yea, I've been hanging around Willie's since day one - Nate's a great guy! I go over there at least once or twice week, and I also hang at the Boutique alot - they are really nice guys over there (Felix, Cory, etc.), and have good Coffee (Rock Start Roast!). :) Maybe we've seen each other at these shops? I live in Edina - and play a Walnut "The STRAT".

I've tried all the Fuchs, but they are out of my price range (no day job right now, just gigs).

I've always liked the clean tone of the VibroKing, but I'd like something smaller, i.e. a 1x12 combo. I like the Dr. Z's - if a 1x12 combo would sound great with my Tonebone Classic, I'd go with that, if I can afford it. I'll have to check out the Cheiftan - I know alot of guys that like the Matchless's with pedals.

I've tried to get on the Fargen website, but it has been "unavailable" every time I try to get on. What the?

That said, I'm really curious about /13 amps, but I don't see a 1x12 combo available.

I'll also check on all the other brands suggested - thanks to all for your input!

19. T-bone

T-bone Member

Another vote for a Dr Z Z28.
    As much clean headroom as a C30 depending on where the tone knobs are set and it does love pedals. Although I like the amp by itself the best.

20. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Keep your eye open for a Sundown 1-12" 50 or 100 watt combo--very dynamic. You can minimize the small cab middy sound if you install EVM 12-L and Weber Beamblocker. Jeff R.