Best 2-post trem bridge for Strat-types - help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rockindillo, Aug 12, 2006.

1. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

Help! I'm putting together a "superStrat" and am considering the options for the bridge.

I know I want a 2-post system similar to the Fender American Standard one, but since this is a bit of a money-no-object project, I'm wondering who else makes this kind of bridge and more to the point, who else makes one that's actually BETTER than Fenders and preferably fitted with or capable of taking Graphtech saddles.

All suggestions, web links, pics etc gratefully received.

Cheers!

2. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

Nobody got any suggestions? Come on guys, please help me out here!

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

There's been some discussion about 6 screw bridges versus 2 post bridges. I think the general idea is that there's more energy transfer with 6 screw bridges but I have also heard people saying that they prefer steel blocks on their trems. Most bridges have aluminum I believe......

Scott Henderson's website has some good info on that although you may have to look for it......

www.scotthenderson.net

Chris

5. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

If you can find a Gotoh 1088 with a steel block, they're pretty good. The trem arm has a bit of play, so if that is an issue for you, then look for a trem with a push-in type arm.

HTH--

Steve

6. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

The wilkinson VS300 does look decent, but I'd definitely vote for Hipshot.

[​IMG]

7. gonziak

gonziak Member

Hi do you know where to find 1088 with steel block? I asked few months ago allparts but they sell with a zinc block.

8. axepilot

axepilot Member

I like the Wilkinsons - quality build and easy to set up.

9. gonziak

gonziak Member

Thanks. I'd like to change standard fishman tremolo in my suhr to 1088 and I'm not sure about how wilkinson fit.

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the wilkinsons i've seen recently seem to be really cheap and crude, not like the originals, or even the gotoh-licensed versions that came out when the original company stopped making them. steel blocks are usually the preferred choice for sustain, bottom, and bite, and while the fishman has one, many wilkinsons and hipshots do not. my personal prejudice is towards the original, all-steel vintage fender 6-screw for the best sound and arm feel, unless it's "vintage-but-better" like callaham.

11. schmit

schmit Member

12. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I put a Mann six screw on a recent build and it's the smoothest vintage trem I've ever owned. The Hipshot is one of the best two point trems out there, but it comes stock with a zinc block. However - you can buy a steel replacement block directly from Hipshot for $30 - $40 depending on who you talk to there. ;)