Best 2 x 12 cab style to replace a 4 x 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by merkaba22, Mar 7, 2008.

1. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I have a great Soldano 4 x 12 but just don't want to truck it around to the local gigs these days -- I love it, of course, among many reasons, because of the tight focused low end these types of cabs are famous for.

I am very interested in those of you who have found a 2 x 12 cab, whether closed back, ported, semi-open or open back, who honestly can say does the job a 4 x 12 does.

I am considering loading with it two vintage mint condition C 1265's that I recently had the great fortune to pick up.

Peace.

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would check out a Bogner 212, I hear great things about them. For metal, I would check out a Glfex 212 cab....

3. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Supporting Member

FWIW, I like my MESA Recto 2x12 a whole lot better than I do my Bogner OS 2x12. The MESA seems to run around $400-450 used in the Craigslist market.

YMMV,

Stormin!

4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Check out www.avatarspeakers.com they have different variations on 2x12' cabs including what looks like a british style closed back cab. Good Luck!

5. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Hey, thanks -- I know about the Recto 2 x12 and even MB says they are impressed with the way it sounds like a 4 x 12.

I wonder if you have to stay with those dimensions though -- I think I may want a vertical cab to stand below my rack based head.

Anybody with direct experience?

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I've had good luck with ported 2x12s. I have a no-name cab and an Earcandy Buzzbomb and both sound big (esp. the Buzzbomb). On the other hand, when I tried my Decatone with a G-Flex, it had a mid-honk that I couldn't dial out.

7. rcgpny1

rcgpny1 Member

Check out MOJO. They make a variety of different 2x12 cabs, modeled after Marshall, fender, some orginal designs...with a choice of speaker.
    In this case the speaker choice is critical to the big sound you want. I have a Mojo made Marshall-clone 2x12 can with 2 of the original reissue G12H30's in it. It sounds very big, and since the G12H's are efficient, it has very good dynamic range.
    Actually in smaller places I find 2x12 cabs can do a better job than a 4x12. More control. I think alot of small club and small stage situations are better handled by an open back cab..but it depends...lol. Anyway,,,check out Mojo's website.

8. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Thanks, but I am aware of many of these cab companies; its more that I am looking for those with concrete experience with 2 x 12 cabs, and therefore, recommendations which do sound like a 4 x 12 so that I can then decide which company I want.

9. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Don't know about the best, but the two I'd recommend are the Port City OS and Dr Z ZBest.

10. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

The THD 2x12 I had sounded huge. Mine had CL-80's in it. I didn't miss my 4x12. Its been like 5-6 years since I had the THD, so I can't remember alot anymore, but I did feel at that time, it rivaled my 4x12. Definitely worth a look.

11. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    I feel the opposite, my OS Bogner 2x12 SMOKES the Mesa 2x12 I had in every way! Bigger, tighter lows and all around better sounding to my ears! In fact, I think the Bogner OS 2x12 sounds bigger and better than some 4x12's I've had. IMO, the only thing the Mesa has going for it is price over the Bogner. Even that can be a non-factor if you're patient. I scored my OS 2x12 for $550.00 shipped. One of my better gear purchases for sure! :)

12. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Supporting Member

See that's interesting to me. I did a writeup last week where I compared the Bogner to the Recto to a THD using a Hamer Studio straight into a Shiva head (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=3756236&postcount=13).

Maybe you could say that I like where the Recto sits back in the mix more, and you prefer how Bogner is a little more out front?

Stormin!

13. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I have experience with the Splawn over-size 212. Sounds as close to a 412 as I've ever heard so far. It's ported in the back and made of marine-grade birch (inch thick) Worth checking out.

14. m1911

m1911 Member

I don't know how you'll find ANY Cabinet better than the Dr.Z "Z-Best" 2x12 Closed-Back and Theile-Ported.
    I bought two of them they are so nice. You can stand them upright or lay on its side for accomidating those larger Heads.
    http://www.drzamps.com/speakercabs.html

15. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

This is great and I see a number of recommendations include oversized designs -- these are cool but for me the idea is to get the cab to be smaller not just lighter, otherwise I could use a detuned 4 x 12 and that would still be too bulky.

I am still looking for details, especially regarding that thud that 4 x 12's are famous for (not just bass) and, whenever possible, please, indicate the amp and guitar used to help clarify the information:)

16. m1911

m1911 Member

Hmmm? Did you read the details on the Z-Best?
    I think many people would agree that while it's not a 4x12, it's as large and tight sounding as ANY 2x12" Cabinet available with a HUGE low-end. Check it out.
    Mark

17. gregc

gregc Member

The Rivera K212 cabs pack a mighty punch.

18. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Very true!!!

Johnny Lockwood

19. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Its been my experience that I like cabs with more cabinet volume. I made a marshall 1922 212 and 1936 cab. Even with the same speakers the 1936 copy sounds much better than the 1922 which is a very small cab.

Your goal is a 212 that sounds like a 412, which to me means you want a cab that has alot of cabinet volume. If you just want light and compact that is a different set of goals. What are you really wanting?

20. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

The best of both worlds, really -- and where this is not truly obtainable, I want to understand specifics of the various designs (rather than generalizations) so I can decide where the balance point will be in regards to size v. sound. In other words, and I don't want to sound unappreciative, comments like "it sounds awesome" don't really help me enough to find that balance point.

its a tone quest and I wonder who among us has gone after this and what they decided and why ....:)

To help clarify: I used a MB 1 x 12 with EV's for a long time but as much as I liked them they always seemed so directional in performance and how they sounded varied so much within various places in any given room -- I tried a MB 1 x 12 Thiele but felt that it added too much bottom end with out that thud a 4 x 12 makes (so I learned more bass in the bottom end does not equal that sound).

I ended up making a larger hardwood (maple and mahogany since it is shown that matching the cab's wood to wood of your guitar improves the sound immensely -- not for looks) 1 X 12 based on the MB 1x12 WideBody specs and a little smaller open back with a mint vintage Altec 417 that sounds very good in view of its singing tone and clarity (and I stuff the cabinet's vinyl cover in the back when playing) -- what it is missing is enough of that thud when muting chords, etc. and more authority with fifths, etc. (and more sound without more volume) for some of the tunes I play. This where I arrive at a 2 x 12 and the C 1265's (because I don't have space in my transportation to lug around the Soldano 4 x 12 I own) -- it could be a closed back design or a semi-ported one like Two Rock has (and no, I am not looking to sound like Robben Ford, etc. -- but I did enjoy the "Politician" discussion and how the 4 x 12 became important ....).

So far, all the designs are roughly 26 - 28 " x 17 - 23" x 11 - 13" and that adds up to an interior cab volume that runs from 2/3rds to the largest cab in variations which since the size of the cab is a significant factor in determining the outcome of the cab's performance. How small can it be and still get that sound along with the other desirable attributes and is it closed, semi-open, ported (and how) ...?