Best 212 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by technik, Aug 15, 2005.

1. technik

technik Guest

Hi,
    Im looking for a 212 Guitar Cab. What do you guys recommend? Im looking either the Avatar Speakers or the Mesa 212 both with vintage 30 speakers

Btw, Im using Stiletto Trident head

thanks

2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I would get a big 2x12 to let the amp do it's thing. Bogner 2x12 would be cool.

3. RGN

RGN Member

I have owned the Mesa Recto and the Bogner 2x12... nothing wrong with the Mesa but I prefer the Bogner myself. It is just a great cab that truly does compete with 4X12s. The Mesa sounded very good but "darker" compared to the Bogner.

I used both with a VHT 100CL head.

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Hard to beat the THD 2x12...

5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Isn't the Trident like 150W? Get the biggest 2x12 you can find. The THD is a great cab but not for a 150W beast.

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Zinky 2x12 Cab. Eminence Custom drivers.

Most underrated cab out there. And it can handle the 120Watt Superfly with ease. No 'woofing'.

Best part: Can be had for a song (@250 - 300) off of Ebay...when you can find one.

7. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I love the Mesa Recto 2 x 12's...Really underrated cabs.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The current THD 2x12 is 180w (2 x 90 watt speakers).

9. technik

technik Guest

I probably order the Avatar Custom Cab with 2x Classic Lead 80. What do you guys think?

10. overture2005

overture2005 Member

does the mesa horizontal 2x12 have the huge sounding like bogner oversize 2x12?

11. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Lots of options to research on the giant cab manufacturers thread in this forum.

12. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I have the Avatar 2x12 (vin30 and gh30). It is an exceptional cabinet for the money. That being said, I've just ordered a Bogner 2x12 oversized as I figure that heads will come and go..but If I have the best cab...I'll never have to worry about getting another cab. The Avatars are great however. Blew away my Marshall 1936 cab.

Troll alert: Avatar will be "for sale" very soon. cheap. :)

13. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I have a JDesigns that I love. Sounds great and Jay will pretty much make it to your liking.

14. mattk22

mattk22 Member

Zinky makes killer cabs, if you like V30's, you will love his speakers.

15. technik

technik Guest

The Mesa has 2 x vintage 30 speakers. Which are equivalent to 120 watts total

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Swansons are some good stuff.

17. blong

blong Supporting Member

Go Avatar. You can't beat 'em for the price. I don't think any of the other cabs out there warrant the extra $$$. I haven't heard anything that sounds $100-400 better than an Avatar.

I think people get hung up on names of gear. In a blind test most couln't tell a difference. I couldn't. Of course, some might get offended or tell me I'm tone deaf, but the name on a piece of equipment only means something if you are a collector or plan to to sell it.

Avatar cabs are as good as any out there. I'm gonna order a second one, soon.

Bob

18. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I agree with you that many people judge with their eyes and that it is certainly possible that a cheaper cabinet may end up sounding better than one with a boutique label and price tag. Lots of people just follow blindly without actually making a buying decision based on an A/B comparison.

However, I am surprised to hear you say that it is difficult to identify different speakers in a blind test. Even if the organizers of the test in which you participated went to the trouble to adjust for differences in the efficiency of each speaker tested, the variance in frequency response alone between speakers is so large as to be hard to miss! Speaker cabinet resonances between different brands are just as easy to hear.

My experience over the years is that even inexperienced listeners can hear differences between components in much smaller increments than you usually find between various brands of speakers and cabinets.

Terry

19. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Thd makes a great cab. Nice balance and good size and weight. Dr Z's "Z best" is popular too if you want more whump and bottom end.

I'm not a fan of Vintage 30's. Celestion Classic Lead 80's are a good all around speaker choice. Lots of choices out there now so try to play as many different things as you can get your hands on to find your "flavor".

Dan