Best 2x12 Cab for Blues, Rock, and Soul - Divided by 13?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SkydogFan81, Mar 5, 2008.

1. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

I'm about to go for a Divided by 13 EDT 13/29 head and 2x12 cab, but he wants $900 for a cab with a Blue and a V30. Seems like that is really high for a cab with those speakers.

I really wanted the 2x12D cab (the diagonal Marshall looking one), but he said it is closed back only; the 2x12F (horizontal speakers) has the option of closed or open back.

Please give advice on whether I should bite it and go for the 2x12F or look to a serious cabinet maker like Stonehenge, Port City, Tone Tools etc. I know that the /13 cabs have the option of using one speaker at a time, which I want for small places.

Please recommend your favorite cabinet makers. Thanks in advance.

Marcus

2. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I can tell you that working with Daniel at Port City has been a real pleasure. I can't wait for my cab to come in that he rigged up for me. Easy guy to deal with. Oh yeah...his cabinets rock too.

3. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Hey Marcus! I've seen all your postings in the EDT threads and I'm glad to hear you're gonna be joining the EDT camp.

I actually just got the same price for a 2x12F from a new D13 dealer near me. I'd like to upgrade to the 2x12 for more flexibility live and in the studio. I'm probably going to do it, just because I like having the open and closed back option, and running the speakers separately. Plus, there's nothing like a matching D13 head/cab setup.

Let us know how you make out!

4. SkydogFan81

I really like that option, but is the cab overpriced at $900 w/ a Blue and a V30?....seems like for that I could get some kind of "botique" cabinet and speakers. I would like to put in a Weber Blue Dog 30W and a Scumback 75M into a Port City 2x12 for ~$850

Seems like Fred really knows his stuff and has tried lots of speakers, cabinets, baffles etc.

5. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Tone Tools Fat Cat 212 that is just awesome. They are not made any more but if you can find one around they are great.

6. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I would highly recommend talking with Jeff Earl at J Designs cabs up by Redding. He does all the cab work for Ben Fargen, and builds custom orders such as you are thinking about. I have one of his 212 cabs, and it is superb.

J.Design Cabs

7. SkydogFan81

just checked out his cabs....Wow they are a fresh take and the clips sound amazing

thanks for the info

8. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Get th D13-Great, well made cabs, and hold their value really well-Sound Awesome, too!!

9. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I say go with the D13!!

10. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

Seems like a strange pairing, the Blue and a Vintage 30. I know that Fred often recommends a Blue and a G12H30. I'd call Fred and ask his advice.

11. SkydogFan81

That's what he said when I talked to him.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Aren't the blues about hurting bad? Shouldn't you be using an old Sunn monitor cabinet with the tweeter ripped out and a no name 12" speaker from the 60s?

All kidding aside, if I were building a cab for maximum flexibility, I'd take a slightly different approach. A Blue or H30 would cover the Marshall side nicely, with an emphasis on chime or crunch respectively. On the other side I'd drop a JBL, EV, Cerwin Vega or their modern equivalents (actually an EV SRO would probably be my first choice being a bit smoother with the alnico magnet and sensitivity to match the Blue). Then you can mix or match depending on the venue and what you feel like at the time.

13. SkydogFan81

Ha :rollYeah, I'm still paying my dues, student loans, truck payment, insurance, work drama...but the days of a MIM strat and a Hot Rod Deluxe are over:dude

Thanks for the info

14. SkydogFan81

Any Divided by 13 cab owners have a preference of a /13 2x12 ?