1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best 2x12 cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 85db, Mar 19, 2006.

1. 85db

85db Member

Did anybody ever compare different 2x12 cabinets? I'm wondering if there's any substantial difference between them. I'm looking for one to put my Celestions in (high-gain Marshall application).

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

As a general rule, I've found that closed back cabs tend to have more low end response and overall resonance than open back cabs, while open back cabs tend to be punchier with better articulation and clarity. I have one of each and often mix them around with my amp heads to get different sounds. One is a Mesa Recto 2x12 w/ celestion vintage 30's, and is just a fantastically well built cab. I've had it for over 5 years now I think. My other cab is a open back Tone Tubby 2x12 with Alnico Hempcones, and is my main cab these days. Very balanced and warm sounding. Hope that helps!

3. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Do a search. There have been a ton of threads about this. I recall the THD and Bogner (larger) 2x12s to be up there on most people's lists. Also the Dr. Z vertical 2x12. I personally love my Jenkins 2x12, but it's my understanding that they are not made any more. Maybe look into Swansen (-on? spelling/) as well. Good luck.

4. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Member

For this, you need a closed back cab with either Greenbacks G12H30s. I prefer the Greenbacks. There are many makers who can build you a great incarnation of that. Personally, one of the first places I would look would be Top Hat, as I'm a fan and owner of Brian's amps.

The best-built 2x12 I've seen is the Mesa vertical slant recto 2x12. The horizontal rectos are everywhere, but the verticals are hard to find. It's 90% as big as a Marshall 1960 4x12 but built much sturdier. I had two but sold them when I divested myself of Mesa stuff.

5. EL35

EL35 Member

Do you think Greenbacks will handle high(er) gain Marshall stuff well? Won't be two Greenbacks only too loose, esp. if you want a tight bottom? (No new-metal stuff of course!)

I'm asking this because I can highly recommend the Marshall 2x12 HW cab (yeah it's piss that they don't ship with the Heritage H30 but anyway). I am going to replace the G12H30, though, as they seem to be too mid scooped for my taste. Get lost in the mix easily, and simply diming the mid knob on the amp doesn't sound too pleasant.

Back to topic, I think there are definitely substantial differences between them, but speakers are still the most important part of the sound of a cab imo. Some cabs have a better bass response - for example the Orange 2x12 is as tight as it can get I suppose. Much better built than the 1936 Marshall cab for example!

6. Roe

Roe Member

bogner 2x12 OS with 2 southbay h-75 HP 65w

7. stratofied

stratofied Member

The best closed back 2x12 cab I have found is the older style Germino without the valance.

8. Berre

Berre Member

what's a valance ?
    do you have a pic of the older style Germino ?

thx,
    bert

9. Berre

Berre Member

and what about the Fuchs 2x12" cab ?

bert

10. 85db

85db Member

Actually, my original question referred to the cabinets only (speakers are out of equation).

For instance, let's say we got Marshall 2x12, Mesa 2x12 Recto, and Bogner 2x12, all closed-back, all loaded with Vintage 30's. Would there be any tangible difference between how they sound with the same amp? Actually, since I need a 2x12 for recording, I'd be even more interested in whether the difference (if any) would be even more apparent on tape.

I'm guessing the differences in the woods used and cabinet geometry should translate into different resonant frequency, frequency response (especially at the lower frequencies), and a bunch of other immeasurable parameters that alter the sound.

11. stratofied

stratofied Member

Here are the new Germino cabs. Note the upper panel or Valance where the logo is mounted. The earlier cabs looked more like a 3/4 sized 4x12 with no valance. I have not had a chance to try the new cabs which may be just as good. I did have an oversized Bogner with valance that was my favorite closed back 2x12 before I got the Germino.

12. bvmjethead

bvmjethead Member

I just finished a MoJo 2 x 12 slant with Celestion G12H Heritage wired @ 16 ohms for my Metro Amps JTM 45 kit.

Sounds great.

13. Roe

Roe Member

I have a mojo 2x12 - Since they made the old germino cabs, their cabs are exactly like the old germino cabs but with a valace.
    the mojo has more of a vintage tone
    the bogner is tighter and more modern sounding

14. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I have the Mojotone loaded with G12M Heritages. I applied some material to the back panel for my needs, but those Mojo guys build great stuff. I cannot find a single flaw. Big enough to get that 4X12 thump, but small enough not to overpower others around you, and enough cabinet area not to choke the speakers. Marshall had it right back in the day, but Mojo makes them better overall. There are a lot of great cabinet makers tho depending on your budget.

15. aortizjr

aortizjr Member

The cabs mentioned above are all great. I haven't tried all of them, but have heard some really good things.

But here are some I tried and were really happy with.

Earcandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (www.earcandycabs.com) -- custom woods, speakers, grills, etc. for incredibly inexpensive considering what you get. The 2x12's sound like 4x12's and even my 1x12 version gives a full stack a run for its money. By far my favorite cabinets and Tim is excellent.

Splawn 2x12 (www.splawnguitars.com) -- excellent quality, custom speakers. For high gain I love the Man O' War/Governor combo. I have the 4x12 and have used the 2x12.

I record with an Avatar 2x12 (www.avatarspeakers.com) open back. Money aside, they are actually great cabinets. I have been really happy with mine.

Also remember that speakers sound different in different cabs.

16. MARCO

MARCO Member

Mojave Ampworks 2x12 Is The Best I Have Heard So Far....i Have 2 Of Them And Run Stereo With My Eventide Eclipse.....its Amazing How Much Projection I Get With It....it Is Designed Similar To The Thd 2x12....much Better Sound Though.

17. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Get the big slant 2x12 its is aewsome. I have it with a straight cab lower for a half stack. Very excellent!

18. Birdy

Birdy Member

Picked up a Silver Jubilee 2x12 slant cab for cheap a while
    ago. I'm in luv ! :AOK

19. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

How do guys feels about those Tone-Tools...?

20. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

...and they all sound different.
    • No-name ported 2x12 w/CL80s
    • Earcandy Buzzbomb w/CL80s
    • Closed back avatar w/V30s
    • Open back avatar w/PRS Celestions
    IME, the three types (ported, open, closed) all sound quite different. The dimensions of the cab also impact the tone since it'll resonate differently. Finally, the speaker type obviously makes a difference.

Which type is preferable depends on your application and taste.