1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

best 2x12 for......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Jul 27, 2006.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

either a marshall jubilee or a soldano SLO,take into consideration these are 100w heads.
    i need a 2x12 for one of the bands i am in as the 4x12 wont fit in the transportation situation...
    its for a classic rock band so i want something similar to a greenback tone but must be a 50 or 60w speaker/s.
    i owned a marshall 2x12 before with vintage 30's and it sounded ok but got tiring on the ears(for refference)
    thankyou

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Hey I'm in the same boat with a Guytron, so far the sweetest speakers have been the Texas Heats but I really don't know if these will be the end of the line for me. The mids are recessed a bit and the highs are not too strident so I can eq it up well, I'm just thinking a bit more chime ala a alnico and a little less low end.

I agree with you on V30's great for a hour then I need some aspirin. The Classic lead 80's are nice but next to the TH's they sound a little plasticy if this makes any sense. I'd be interested to see what you go for, I'm kind of thinking Eminence Governors but I'm not sure.

3. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

4. Roe

Roe Member

2 65w southbay speakers - either the [G12]M[edium] model or the
    [G12]H[eavy] model.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

just read that celestion is making a Alnico blue 50 watt speaker called the gold,(i think)

6. lukeness

lukeness Member

I thought Jubilees were all 50 watt with switchable 25watt heads.... well, I don't know much about Marshall.

7. muddy

muddy Member

8. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I used a Genz Benz 2x12 with my SLO and replaced one of the speakers with a Texas Heat. Very nice tone!

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Great suggestions - check THD as well (180w 2x12).

10. PFCG

PFCG Member

get the two rock cab, youll never need anything else for any style of music, thier eminence speakers are out of this world!

11. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

It doesn't matter what cab you get as long as you put Jim's Scumbacks in it...........:D

12. devbro

devbro Member

My Bogner oversize 2x12 sounds huge with V30's. I've also heard theTHD and that would be mysecond choice.

13. mrmax

mrmax Member

VHT 2-12 Fatbottom w/v30's sounds nice and full, I also use an old Bassman cab w/2-300 watt EV's- That's Bone Crushing!:drool