Best $300ish acoustic for my kid sister?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by MikeJungle, Feb 24, 2008.

1. MikeJungle

MikeJungle Member

I recently helped my friend buy an Alvarez PD-80 and she loves it. She also got the best deal ever at $350 new.

I was wondering if there are any other comparable brands with similar build quality. I heard Seagulls are great but it's been a long time since i've played one and I can't remember how they sounded.
    I also like carvins because they sound quite nice 'n bright...sorta taylorish?

well, any suggestions or corroborations to what i've said?

thanks

-Mike

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Both Ibanez and Yamaha offer many guitars under $300. I prefer Yamaha myself, but both are sound buys.

3. thesteve

thesteve Member

When I was looking for a guitar for my wife, I had to tailor it to her needs...she's smaller than I am and was learning and had trouble on most of the guitars I was thinking about getting.

Basically I broke it down between something from Yamaha (F335 maybe?) or a Big Baby Taylor. I ended up going Taylor and scored the BB for $200. Craigslist is your friend.

4. devinb

devinb Member

I've had pretty good luck with Yamaha student models across the board...I bout 16 a Yamaha classicals a couple years ago for a school I taught at, they were surprisingly nice for coming in well under your price point.

5. Popdevil

Popdevil Member

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here as well.

I found this on another guitar forum.

1) Seagull S6 is considered as a very good guitar to start, even to continue, or performing.
    2) Yamaha F-310
    3) Takamine G-240, discontinued I saw, but high rated by customers and instrument for the serious student or hobbyist. There is still another Takamine (in fact there are a lot) a G-320 $289.00
    4) Fender DG-7, also discontinued, but I think that the DG-8, is very close to it: $199.95 and list: $349.99
    5) Epiphone DR-100 List Price: $165.00
    6)Washburn D10S List Price: $429.90, and a comment that this is probably the best selling acoustic
    7) Blueridge BR-40 List Price: $595.00 and can't be a bad guitar, you read more and more about BLUERIDGE
    8)Ibanez AC100NT
    9) Baby Taylor List Price: $398.00
    10)Martin LXM List Price: $399.00

6. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Art & Lutherie • Robert Godin's fine line of affordable entry level guitars are perfect for the guitarist that needs quality performance at the lowest price.

Simon & Patrick • Robert Godin's other line of high performance bang for the buck guitars.

Seagull • In 1982 Robert Godin and a few friends produced the first Seagull guitars in the Village of LaPatrie, Quebec. The concept for the Seagull guitar was to take the essentials of the best hand-crafted guitars and build these features into guitars that all musicians could afford

7. george4908

george4908 Member

Recently bought a $300 solid wood Alvarez AF-60S (concert size) for my 12-year old daughter. For the money, it's a pretty good guitar, and it sounded better than other guitars at that price range.

8. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

Silver Creek....right at $300 with a hard case. Sounds years better than my Epi Masterbuilt which I thought was the best sounding cheap acoustic there was.