Best 400-500 dollar guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DC1, Dec 18, 2009.

1. DC1

DC1 Member

Hey all,

A good friend is a beginner guitar student and wants a nice solid-body electric in this price range.

What would you recommend?

thanks!

dc

2. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Go used.

you can get used american made gibsons and fenders at 500 bucks... or the import versions brand new. Its a no brainer in my mind, but then again I've never owned a new guitar simply for that reason.

- Les Paul Special would be my choice.

3. cugel

cugel Member

parts caster by far
    there are so many sweet partscasters out there with good wood, nitro, nice pickups and setup ready to go. they arent worth much just because there is no name on the headstock.

4. DC1

DC1 Member

Ok, he doesn't want to deal with sorting out used ones, and a parts guitar is not an option at this point.

Of the inexpensive axes out there, what do you like?

thanks

dc

5. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

Dean... they have some KILLER MIK stuff...

This is a '79 Z. Great build quality, great playability, Grover tuners, pretty good pups... I swapped a PRS HFS into the bridge and had a fret dress done, but only because I am used to my '91 and '94 PRS Cu24s.... I use this thing as a backup on stage and have actually done an entire 2 set gig with it without having to retune.

[​IMG]

6. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with:

Anything from the PRS SE line
    Anything from the Fender Mexico line

7. DC1

DC1 Member

Thanks!

Any more?

dc

8. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

PRS SE!
    Classic Vibe Squires!
    Dano, depending on taste.
    Washburn has some great guitars for the $$- HB 30 or 35 if you want a semi-hollow.
    Don't own one but I hear good things about Schecter.

9. freekbird

freekbird Member

michael kelly patriots (les paul style) are nice guitars and most of them are coil tapped which gives you a lot of versatility...

10. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

tons of great guitars in that price range. He needs to figure out if he wants a LP style or strat style or something different.

If he wants a strat or tele style, the squier classic vibe line is hands down the best in that price range. They make a tele, a strat, and a duosonic.

As for a LP style, the michael kelly patriots are excellent. If he wants a more genuine LP type look, a gibson les paul studio can be had new for under 650.00 if you look carefully enough and wait for 20% coupon codes. I hesitate to recommend an epiphone but you can find those new for well under 500.00. The epi goldtop with p90s is 499.00 and there are coupon codes that will give you 15% off. I'm actually wanting to buy one of those myself.

Another one is the Agile which can be found at rondomusic. I've never played one but people seem to write great reviews about them.

11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Go a couple bucks more and hunt down a Fender Highway One strat or tele... they usually go for $699, but sometimes GC has them at $100 off.

12. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

BTW, for what it's worth, musicians friend has 20% on all fenders and squiers today. It's a call-in only sale. Call in and mention Fender Holiday and get 20% off.

Either the CV strat or tele will come out to under 300 bucks and he'll have a couple hundred left over for accessories or pedals or whatever. Great way to start out, imo. I wish I would have had something like that when I started.

13. NoahL

NoahL Member

He can get a G&L Tribute for that, Strat or Tele-style. The new Indonesian ones are scary-good-quality, and they all have the same U.S. pickups as the high-dollar U.S.-made G&Ls. Plus all the cool G&L technology, like the great bridge designs and the bass roll-off knob and neck/bridge option on many of the Strat-style models. It's a giggable guitar. Even a great gig bag superior to the Fender feedbags. I'm real familiar with the G&L line from experience, so your buddy is free to e-mail me if he wants.

Hamer makes that nice Sunburst line that Guitar Player raved about a few years ago...

There are so many nice Asian axes right now!

14. blueslover

blueslover Member

Classic Vibe Strats or Tele's. Best bang for your $ out there in my opinion. For disclosure I've owned plenty of American Reissue's and a Mayer strat. For the $, they are hard to beat.

15. DC1

DC1 Member

Thank you!

I called him up about that and he is all over it.

very cool

dc

16. barryg_nyc

barryg_nyc Member

+1 for the Squier Classic Vibe. I have the duo sonic, but if he's not sure what he wants, the strat is a safe bet. That's at the low end of his price range, leaving more for an amp. You didn't ask, but if you want amp suggestions, I'd pair it with a Vox Valvetronix VT15 or VT30.
    That combination, for around $600 will give him Great versatility. Btw - he should also invest $40-50 for a good professional setup - makes a world of difference

17. DC1

DC1 Member

Indeed.

thanks

DC

18. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

In that price range, if buying new, I always suggest getting an Epi LP or a MIM Strat/Tele. The main reason being that if you change your mind 6 months down the road, you're at least going to get a decent amount of your investment back. Plus, both of those are common enough to where it won't sit for too long if you are trying to move it (at the right price of course).

Its too bad he's not willing to go used though. There are some great deals floating around out there right now. I've seen several USA Strats for around the $500 range - Standards, not Highways!

There is something special about buying one new though. My first "real" guitar was a honeyburst Epi LP that my Grandma bought for me in return for mowing her yard for a few Summers.

19. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

20. MBT74

MBT74 Member

+1 for the CV Tele. Great bang for your buck.