Best 4x12 (or 2x12) cabinet for Metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarGuy510, Jan 13, 2006.

1. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I'm thinking of picking up an Avatar cab soon, but I wanted to check on here if anyone had other suggestions for a good 2x12 or 4x12 cab. I currently have one of the new Randall 2x12 MTS Series cabs for my RM-100S that has two Celestion Vintage 30s in it. It sounds good but has more middy tone that I would like. I'm looking for something that would do metal, hardcore, etc. really well. I could either pair it with the MTS to make a virtual 4x12 or I could just get a 4x12. Anyone know of any cabs (or speakers) that would work best here? Please rule out Mesa, as I had a 2x12 that I loved but it was WAY too heavy, and I'm looking for something that isn't going to leave my back and fingers sore after moving it around.

*EDIT: I forgot to add that I will be using a Peavey 5150 II modded by Voodoo Amps with the cab(s) mostly, but I will also be using my RM-100 unless I decide to sell it. Thanks!*

Right now I'm tossing around the idea of an avatar 4x12 with either all 4 speakers as Eminence Texas Heats, or two Texas Heats on top and two Swamp Thangs on the bottom. Any suggestions as to best speaker combinations in a 4x12 for metal/hardcore as well please? I would really like to see if there is some way I could just get a 2x12 to put on TOP (so I think that rules out Swamp Thangs in a 2x12 as that much bass on top is a bad idea) of my V-30 loaded cab, as it is too big for me to bother selling and shipping. Plus the MTS cab is very well built, and seems rock solid so I'd really like to keep it. Does anyone know if rewiring the cab is a very hard thing to do? I could always just buy speakers and rewire the cab too....:dude Thanks guys!

2. Roe

Roe Member

bogner (or diezel)

3. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

It goes beyond namebrands.

Do you want front loaded (TIGHT, and fat) or rear loaded (little less tight, more organic)?

4. el34power

el34power Member

Mesa 2x12 with Black shadows.... or 4x12 if you can lug it around.
    I think the tonker and manowar has had good reviews for metal...

5. 908SSP

908SSP Member

A bass cab....

Large closed back with EVM12L....

6. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I'm looking for tight sound in the bass section. I'm trying to stay away from Celestions on this one as I want a speaker without cone distortion. Also, no Mesas as I said above I get joint pain and carrying them around is just asking for it!:BITCH I'm thinking about maybe just swapping the speakers out in my Randall MTS cab to Eminence Texas Heats and maybe getting another cab later if I like them like that.

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

If you've got joint pain... then you'll probably want a 2x12, and the tightest 2x12 cabinet I've ever played, that had VERY little speaker breakup is the VHT Fatbottom 2x12, tight, solid low-end, insane definition and will make just about any amp unforgiving!

-TJK

8. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I have found that using a marshall 4x12 works well to tighten a sound...I knew a guy who used an original 5150 with a marshall 1960 A cab. Its pretty tight, and I also play Hardcore/ Metal, so I know the sound your looking for. Its also a good 30 pounds lighter than a mesa 4x12. I have never seen/heard an avatar, so I have no idea what they are like. I would reccomend mesa, but as you said, they are way too heavy, especially if you get joint pain. If your in a band playing hardcore/metal, PM me and tell me how to check you out. Hope this helped.

9. Roe

Roe Member

a tight marshall(!) -what's the speakers?

10. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

The Laney AOR 4x12 series stuff is great for metal. I used the one that I'm selling for years playing Slayer/Sepultura style stuff.

If you don't care about being pretty, it's on Ebay ending today for $200 NR.

11. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

I love my Splawn 2x12 cab. Its got a Gov & a Man O War in it, and it is perfect for me. I play mostly fast metal, plam-muted stuff.

dave

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Avatar sells some great stuff but their 4x12 isnt one of them IMO. I have one and it sounds thin(g12h-30/V-30) and kind of lifeless. The Avatar 2x12(same seakers) with open back sounds way better to me. Fuller,more bass ,more musical. I wish I realised it sooner I would have sent it back. Plus the grill was held on by eight screws with washers from the front and looked crappy IMO. The back isnt removable either.

13. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

You're a perfect candidate for the Rivera Sub 1

It would fit perfectly under the Randall cab you already have.... give you the solid bass you need. Keep your highs and mids balanced in the 2x12... .then slowly dial in just the right amount of bass with the sub.

There's nothing better for metal.. It's expensive.. but worth it.

14. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

Voodoo amps 4x12 with 2 v30s and 2 texas heats or swamp thangs

15. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I've got a VHT 2x12 (not the Fatbottom) that kills for metal. Speakers are whatever Emis VHT spec'd.

Look around for a used one. I got mine, in white, from Dave's for $250 in NM condition.

16. overture2005

overture2005 Member

I've a caa 212 loaded with 2xvin30s and a z-best 212 loaded with a vin30 and a g12h and I've owned a mesa recto 212 loaded with 2xmesa vin30s. For the chug-chug metal sound, the recto 212 would be your ticket IMO.

17. crisden

crisden Member

18. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Cool! Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm down between the VHT FatBottom and the Earcandy Buzzbomb. Anyone have BOTH? Let me know if you have both of them and prefer one over the other. Also, does anyone on here have EITHER of these and looking to sell one? Thanks!