Best 4x12 or big sounding 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Heritage, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Heritage

Heritage Gold Supporting Member

I just ordered a 45H from Jesse at RTE. I'm looking for a really great cab for this amplifier. I play a paul and a strat.
    I've had: z-best 2x12, older germino 2x12, and jenkins jss & hw 51 2x12. I really would like a 4x12 though. Any thoughts on this subject for old marshall tone?

2. theirflowers11

theirflowers11 Member

I really like my 1960bx marshall cab. It has 25w Greenbacks. What I really like about it is the top half of the cab has a nice crisp, clear sound while the bottom half is deeper and has a nice thump to it. Very nice cab.

3. xmikex

xmikex Member

I have both an orange 4 12 and 2 12 and thoroughly enjoy them both.

Mike

4. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I use a Bogner Uberkab, which sports two Celestion V30's and two G12T75's. It can destroy small villages.
    [/FONT]

5. Roe

Roe Member

for a big tone: get a marshall cab or a clone with g12h speakers

6. MARCO

MARCO Member

NO !! If you want a very well made 4x12 go with a Mojo, Bogner or a Mojave Ampworks 4x12....for new stuff, you cant get any better than these cab makers.

7. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Looks like you already answered yourself. You don't buy a boutique cab for old Marshall tone. You buy an old Marshall cab.

9. rickeb1

rickeb1 Member

10. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

The best sounding 4x12 I
    ever heard to Date was a
    BOGNER at Fat Sound Guitars
    Hands Down

Your mile age my vary:D

11. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

I have a mojo 4x12 with scumback speakers and I have to say it's pretty sweet.

With that being said, I couldn't stand also not living with a bogner 4x12 with V30s and G12H30s in an X pattern. So I went ahead and ordered one :). The best of both worlds.

And, with my bogner oversized 2x12.. Well I'm pretty much well covered in the cab department.

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

bogner or bad cat 4x12. cant go wrong.

for a 2x12. bogner or bad cat!!!

13. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Sharky where in NC are you from. I live in Washington near Greenville. Are you the one who got the used Top Hat at Fat Sound?

14. SBlue

SBlue Silver Supporting Member

IMHO, if you want a classic Marshall sound and money is not an issue, get a basketweave with 30w. If you don't want to spend all that money, an early to mid 70's with black back, greenback or creamback will do the job very well for way less money. If you want a Marshall sound without spending and those are still expensive, a 1960BX / AX will be the way to go. But if you want to sound big, you need a Harry Joyce / George Scholz 4x12.
    SBlue

15. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Kieth,
    I live just outside of Sanford in a little town called Cameron. I have a Emplexador for sale in the Emporium but mine came from a fellow Forum member here JeffH. It's hard to believe no one has scarfed this one up yet. Great amp at a great price:AOK

16. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

17. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Member

I used to have these Mesa closed-back vertical 2x12s that sounded huge. Looked like this but taller, I think. Had the new Mesa logo. Not exactly a common cabinet.
    [​IMG]

18. Roe

Roe Member

how does the bogners compare to the mojo/marshall cab? stiffer, more modern sounding?

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

I have 2 of these cabs - well, 2 that I built after getting dims from Boogie's. They are huge sounding, in large part because of a 16" depth, and mine have Altecs/EV SRO's!!! I built mine out of 3/4" 9-ply birch. They weigh half a ton each!!

20. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

Actually you just described my Bogner 4X12 cab except it has metal handles instead of the Marshall plastic ones and a small metal jack plate instead of that big plastic one on the back of my Marshall cabs. :AOK