Best 4X4 truck?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by doc, Mar 1, 2015.

1. doc

doc Member

With all the recent snow and ice, and also the occasional need to move gear around, I'm mulling over trading in my Camry on a truck. I have a nice sporty car as the usual daily driver, and usually use the Camry in bad weather, when needing more space, or needing better mileage (its a hybrid with over 100K miles).

Anyway, I'd like to have a very versatile 4X4. Monster acceleration and horsepower not needed, but some power would be nice. I really don't understand why no one makes a diesel electric hybrid with electric outlets and the ability to use it as a portable generator. I'd kind of like a diesel, but willing to be talked out of it. I'm okay with a used truck if an earlier model is a better choice - I know in the diesel world there have been some restriction changes that may make an earlier model a better one. I'd like reasonable fuel economy, but balance that with other considerations.

Mostly will be used for bad weather commuting and hauling gear, but I'd like to be able to do some mild off-roading or towing if I want.

I'd like to get something to keep for many years - something reliable, reasonable to maintain, and either a current or future classic that I'll grow to love owning.

Any standout trucks I should look at?

2. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

I drove by many an SUV and 4x4 in the ditch with my '02 VW Jetta back when I had to commute 40+ miles to Oswego years ago. All the good equipment in the world can't help a southern driver in the snow. It takes experience. Having said that I'm looking at a mid 2000's F-150 4x4 simply to have something to haul wood and sheetrock and whatever around in.

3. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Full size or mid size? New or used? Budget?

4. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

2003-2004 Dodge Cummins.
    Prefer the manual...
    Great mileage.
    No cats on the 2003-03.5.

Take your time and find a good one....preferably a S, SW, W or NW truck w/service records.

5. JDJ

JDJ Member

I have a '99 Tacoma I bought in 2001 when I lived in Colorado. It's got 176K miles on it. I live in the Appalachian mountains now. It pretty much goes anywhere. I recommend it.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Have you priced one lately?

This is a running Joke in all the small towns like Franklin, Robbinsville, Boone and so forth, that there's a local dealer who specializes in what seems like seriously overpriced, not necessarily low mileage 2005 and earlier 4x4 Tacomas.

Some of us should've bought more of them when we could get them. Unless this vehicle is EXACTLY what the O.P. is looking for he will pay dearly.

I make no secret of it that if I could get one or two at a reasonable price, I'd grab them right up. I've got some real narrow tracks I'd like to drive on and I can't fit some of the current vehicles on them.

7. wannabebum

wannabebum Member

My wife bought a 2004 Tacoma new, and when we sold it last year, it had 80k miles and we got 14k out of it. Those trucks are going for a premium, but I have to admit they are probably worth it.

8. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

i can't recommend the current subaru forester highly enough- specifically the 2.0xt.
    killer all wheel drive, unparalleled traction, decent fuel economy, wicked acceleration, plenty of space, good ground clearance, very spacious for everyone on board, etc.
    this thing is a beast in disguise. book a test drive, fall in love!

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

My favorite is a 1997 Ford F350 Super cab Power Stroke Turbo Diesel. 19 MPG with a loaded trailer and it would pull the front of your house off.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Dodge Ram is the way to go by a huge margin!

[​IMG]

11. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

My Wife just sold her 2004 Dodge heavy duty truck, with the Cummins engine and all options, nothing but a rusty piece of S**T!

We will never buy another Dodge product in our lives! Yes that bad

Probably not bad trucks down south, but not tough enough for Michigan, they should be ashamed of there poor quality.
    My 98 Toyota winter beater has no rust, and has lived in MI all its life.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I also have one of those. 2005 Ram 1500. 9 MPG. Stupid fast though.

13. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

By 98 I guess Toyota figured out how to keep their frames from rusting in half. Lucky man...LOL.

Guess it is where you live. my 06 cummins dodge doesn't have a speck of rust anywhere.

14. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

Toyota Tacoma all the way. Just buy one new. The SR5 4x4 is really all you'll need. You can get a brand new SR5 for 27-28k pretty easily. Probably much lower if you know how deal. the 2016's are coming out with nicer engines with higher MPG numbers as well. I have a TRD off-road and its 4x4 has been clutch with this winter snow. It has handled driving around in 6 inches of snow with absolutely no problem.

15. JDJ

JDJ Member

I do have people offer to buy it. I'd rather have the Tacoma than the money. OP said he wanted the best. :D

16. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Best 4x4 is the Toyota 4Runner. Hands down the best. Mine had the v8, but they don't offer it anymore. It is my daily driver, and we take to Tahoe, and the beach often. Never had any issues with snow, mud or sand. 180k miles and still going strong!

17. Slowhead

Slowhead Member

I've got a 2008 Nissan Frontier 160K on it
    Great truck no repairs, no issues at all. Had 2200 lbs on it last summer
    Fast and still gets 19 city and 24 highway ( I check every tank full)

18. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

2004 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi owner here. I bought it new and it's really been a great truck for me (even when I lived up in Alaska).

Gas mileage is pretty rough at about 12 MPG in town... 18 on the highway.

19. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I'll be watching as the new ones become available. I might spring for the 2015 if I can find a ridiculous discount on one. But I did just get another vehicle so it'd have to be amazing. I really need to sell a couple vehicles, first.

20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that's the last year before they became big trucks instead of small trucks.

it's weird how that kind of thing has just disappeared; the ford ranger was the last of the small-truck mohicans, and even that went away a couple years ago.

i'm a small-truck guy myself ('06 ranger). with all the insane snow on the east coast this year, we even got our share in SE virginia; my truck is a bit jacked up with big tires (came that way, don't blame me) but only 2WD. thing is, i figured out while fighting the snow and ice that i didn't need 4WD and the attendant increase in weight, price, mechanical complexity and mileage loss; my real problem was the regular differential back there, which allowed one back tire to spin freely while i sat there!

a limited-slip or torsen differential would fix that, and is probably all the foul-weather mechanical enhancement anybody not in the boonies needs on their vehicle.