• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best 5 way switch - recommendations.

Macaroni

I have to replace a 5 way switch on my 3 x P90 guitar.

Any recommendations as to the best one - any to avoid?

Thanks!

Chikn

Platinum Supporting Member
There's one that WD sells that is basically half of a Super Switch. Doesn't do all of the stunt wiring, but you can get the bridge and neck together in the middle position if you want.

Rosewood

Does CRL make "super" switches? I always use CRL for 3 and 5 way, didn't know they made anything fancy.

David Collins

The Grigsby's are still similar construction to the CRLs - I'm okay with almost any wafer style switch. I just recommend avoiding the plastic or printed circuit board contact as John said.

John Phillips

Pretty sure I've had a couple of Super Switches that were CRL, although I could be wrong. The frames looked identical to the regular CRL 5-way, anyway.

Doesn't really matter as long as the construction is the same - steel frame with tension-spring detent, fiber/paxolin boards, double-leaf contacts.

John Phillips

Because they are flimsy, feel cheap and not positive in use, often crackle or cut out, wear out quickly, and possibly suck a tiny bit of tone (really). For what they cost - about half a proper one - they are very poor value for money and a waste of time to fit IMO.

Rosewood

CRL is hard to beat. I remember a "made in Japan" wafer type that Fender used on some models that I had some trouble with. The contacts looked ok and I could clean it but the problems always returned.

Memorex

I have a Dimarzio 5-way Super Switch in my Strat. It works OK, but feels a bit loose in the stop positions at times, and other times it feels tight. I wouldn't recommend it. When it goes, I'll put something else in.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom