best 50 x 2 power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sleewell, Feb 12, 2013.

1. sleewell

sleewell Member

Vht/fryette comes to mind

But what else?

50w x 2, would be nice if it had low power but not required. Will be paired w a bogner fish or mako mak4.

2. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

i have an old peavey classic 50/50w that works well and is relatively inexpensive. they also made a 60/60w as well. it's bridgeable to 100w/one channel and can accomodate different ohm loads 4/8/16 for each channel or mono bridged.
    carvin makes a solid one too (TS100) that retails for ~$5-600 but can sometimes be had used cheaper.
    Then there's Atomic amps...Mesa 20/20 or 90/90, Marshall made a 50/50 and I think a 20/20 but I might be wrong on the last one...
    Depends on what tubes you want to you and how much you want to spend.
    HTH

3. sleewell

sleewell Member

I have a mesa 50/50 right now. It's nice but I was hoping to add a nicer one.

I wish bogner or mako would make one. Price is not a factor.

4. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

You really can't go wrong with the VHT/Fryette power amps. They have set the benchmark for years. Mesas always sounded a little stiff to my ears, but are used by many prominent players. Marshall made some good power amps too. If you can find one, the Groove Tubes power amps are very versatile, some allowing for different tube types in each channel.

Good luck in your search.

5. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

out of curiosity, what is that, for you, would make it a "nicer" power amp?

6. sleewell

sleewell Member

the mesa is nice and has served me well over the course of at least 12 years but it just broke down. not sure yet if its a major issue and how much its going to cost to fix but i just spent a ton retubing it last year so there are concerns. the unit itself is very old and i need it to be reliable. they are only 400 or less used, if i am spending hundreds multiple times to keep fixing it then i may as well just get something newer that will run for another 12 years.

sound wise its pretty good, but i think it could always be better. maybe a grass is greener moment but i have 2 really nice preamps so i may as well look at a really nice power amp.

7. Just1more

Just1more Member

I know it's more power than you want, but the VHT 2150 that was in the Emporium is what I would get in your situation. Not sure if it's still available but it was a good price. Volume is controllable & I think it has a half power switch.

8. sleewell

sleewell Member

i was eyeing that one for sure. waaaaaaaaaay too much power for my needs, plus cost of retubing, etc...

i guess i could get over all that if it were 2 spaces and could sound great on lower volumes. i know its the best one out there. but the mak4 is already 4 spaces so a 4 space power amp is getting very big to haul to gigs plus i have a one space furman power strip and a gsp1101.

9. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

"best", i dunno.

my favorite is clearly:

[​IMG]

10. sleewell

sleewell Member

that is mostly likely what i will be getting, was just wondering if there were any others out there i was missing.

11. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Fryette for the win.

Mesa are good, Marshall are decent. Fryette is the ****!!!

12. cardinal

cardinal Member

Anyone currently make a rack power amp with full sized transformers? Probably requires 4 rack spaces like the old VHT Classis and 2150, but I can live with that.

Next question is whether anyone with experience with both noticed a difference between theses smaller 2u units and the big 4u monsters from the days of old.

13. sleewell

sleewell Member

good question

fryette does also have a 1u power amp coming out too that looks really interesting.

14. support

support Member

A transformer is as big as it needs to be to deliver full power and frequency response at the specified power rating. Naturally a 2X50W power amp doesn't need transformers of the same physical size and power handling capacity as those used in a 2X100W amp.

So, if you're asking if anyone still makes a big massive 2X100W 4 space power amp of the caliber of the 2100 (Classic) and 2150, the answer is yes :)

If you're asking if anyone currently makes a 2X50W amp with massively oversized transformers, the answer is probably yes, but in this application, and given the weight and expense vs the actual sonic benefit, they probably don't have a compelling reason to exist.

Since the main difference is power output, of course you will hear a difference in headroom and detail at big volumes, and in the case of our 2-space power amps, less of a difference at typical playing volumes. Those big transformers can deliver a bit wider sonic footpront - especially in the low registers. This has more to do with the power supply capability that anything. The reason is that - in the case of the 2100 and 2150 - the power supply and power transformer are capable of allowing both channels to reach 120WPC simultaneously and continuously - with combined instantaneous peak power delivery in the range of 1KW.

Since you probably have no practical use for 240 sustained watts of continuous power (unless you have some really heinous neighbors who need a reality check from time to time), what you are left with at normal playing volumes is massive available headroom, detail, and reproduction of very delicate fundamentals and harmonics. In other words, you can make your guitar sound like a grand piano if that's what you want.

The same power supply benefit applies to our 2-space power amps. Even if you are playing at bedroom volume, the power supply in a 2X50W amp is still capable of delivering 100W out of both channels combined. So using only one channel with produce more detail and dynamic rsponse that a typical single 50W amp.

One thing that often gets overlooked in discussing stereo tube power amps is channel separation and crosstalk. If you are comparing stereo tube power amps for a stereo rack system, you MUST compare them with both channels operating. This is the test that demonstrates the real qualitative sonic difference between otherwise seemingly comparable power amps. Most stereo rigs exist to take advantage of stereo reverbs and delays. If the power amp has poor stereo separation and high crosstalk, the stereo image will be narrow and peaky due to frequency and phase cancellation between the two channel signals. The amp with low crosstalk and high stereo separation will sound like a theatre by comparison.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  15. cardinal

cardinal Member

David, thanks for that response. Very helpful.

And are you implying that Fryette will still build a 2100?

16. support

support Member

Not to spam the forum, contact info in sig below:)

17. sleewell

sleewell Member

excellent post David, thank you very much.

guess i will be buying that Fryette 2/50/2 sooner rather than later!!!

18. GasMask

GasMask Member

I have a Fish paired with a Mesa 50/50. I already owned the 50/50 when I bought the Fish. I had planned on picking up the EL34 based Fryette, but I find that is sounds fantastic with the Mesa. You might at least find out what it would take to get the 50/50 up and running before dropping the coin on a new one. Might just be a tube or a $1.00 part. My 50/50 was bought new, and was one of the first ones made. It has been played and gigged hard, and never once failed me.

That said, if I was starting from scratch, I would buy the Fryette. I think the EL34 power tube is a better pairing for the Fish, and the Fryette has some nice features as well. I still may pick one up. It's been on my "wish list" for some time, but just not a priority.

Your gonna love the Fish. Analogman can make you a nice custom footswitch for channel switching if that is something you need. Love having one for mine.

19. sleewell

sleewell Member

ahhhhhh thanks for the analogman switcher idea, thanks!!!!! i heard suhr makes one for $300, how much is the analogman one?

yeah i dont plan to sell the 50/50 either way and it has been a GREAT piece of gear for the last 12 years so i am not dogging it all.

20. rockon1

rockon1 Member

My Peavey Classic 50/50 isnt 'the best" by far but damn its been cranking away for almost 20 years now with zero problems. Loudest EL84 based amp Ive heard too. :eeks Cost me less than 500$ in 94. Bob