Best '57 PAF clone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gang twanger, Jun 29, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I really love the sound of PAF-style humbuckers with alnico ll magnets. I love the medium output and their warm, fat, and smooth, yet bright and well-defined tone. To me, the '57 PAF sound is precisely what I want in a vintage style HB.
    Great for just about anything except metal. My personal favorite is the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover set. I wouldn't change a thing about them. Exactly what I was looking for; and they sound so good with my ver.4 OCD. And even though they're not wax-potted, I don't have any noise or microphonic issues (and I think the very slight bit of honkyness is an important part of it's character.

What's your favorite? And what do you love about them?

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I am completely in love with my Antiquities in my R8! Just like the Seths the Ants are alnico II and are not potted, I don't get any noise/feedback issues either. The Ants are smooth and woody souinding and the depth of the bass is just beautiful. I love these pickups. I also really like my Pearly Gates set in my Moderne...the PG's are also alnico II but are a little more aggressive than the Ants and have a rudness to the midrange that is great for single note lines...really makes them sting just a little but more than the Ants (althought the limba body/neck combo helps with that too!).

I've thought a few times about trying some other buckers out there but everytime I plug in one of these guitars I remember why I don't bothger wiht other pickups...these are just fantastic! I also use a more modern set of Duncans in my Yamaha SG 2000...an Alnico II Pro in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bright and I really like those too!

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I had no idea the PG's were alnico ll. That's explains the similar sound. The Antiquities are like a perfectly balanced, yet just a little less clear and bright than the Seth's. And the Seth's have that little extra bit of midrange honkyness that I like. I'd like to try a SL or Ant. in the neck with a PG or maybe a Custom in the bridge. The Alnico Pros are a little too scooped-sounding for me.
    Back when I was in high school, a friend of mine who also played in the school jazz band had a '57 Gold Top that sounded ultra-sweet, and now I know why.

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

The PG's are indeed Alnico II and really sing. I actually toyed with the idea of going Seths in my R8 for a while to get some of that honk, another idea I had was a magnet swap to a full strength Alnico II in my Ants...still haven't done it but I did get some magnets!

The Alnico II Pro is a tad scooped and as much as I dig it I wish it were a little fuller in the mids but with the Custom Custom (also Alnico II) it gives me a nice contrast to have in a 3rd 2 bucker guitar...for a while I had a PG in the neck of that guitar with the Custom Custom and that was a killer set up...in fact if I ever do drop the Alnico II Pro it'll be for a PG.

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I'm going to have a real hard time finding a replacement for the Seth in the neck. It's just perfect for me. Actually so is the bridge. I think I'd have a tough time, period, if I ever had to find an alternative replacement for these. It's hard to describe, but they just seem.... perfect. I'm much more of a feely player than a technical one. In other words, I'm a good blues/ pentatonic-style rock player, but you won't see me busting out an Allan Holdsworth solo any time soon. So these pickups suit me to a "T". Whether they're "The Best" or not, it does'nt matter, because I would'nt change a thing. (Is it would'nt or wouldn't? I feel like I'm spelling it wrong.)

6. improv4

improv4 Member

Since you asked, the correct way is wouldn't.

You guys are going to make me run out and buy another guitar with this conversation!

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I hear ya! I have several killer pickups sitting here in need of guitars but just can't stand the idea of buying guitars for pickups!

This thread has got me thinking (again) about going with full strength magnets in my Ants but the truth is im too lazy (and scard of feedback after I put them back on!) to remove the covers! Maybe I need another set of Ants!:D