Best 5E9 clones? (higher power versions OK too)

buzzp

Who makes them? Someone recently described the 5E9 tremolux as a punchier / higher head room 5E3, and now I'm interested in getting a Tweed to pair with my clean machine Ampeg GS-12R. Under 2k is a must, and closer to 1k is ideal (obviously I'll be looking at used)

e???

Victoria makes one called a "Chicagolux". Or also the Fender Harvard was a 5e9 with no tremolo, and Victoria makes one those called an "Ivy League", which are really cool sounding amps. I got to try most of the Victoria's side by side recently, and the Ivy League was by far my favorite.

buzzp

Victoria makes one called a "Chicagolux". Or also the Fender Harvard was a 5e9 with no tremolo, and Victoria makes one those called an "Ivy League", which are really cool sounding amps. I got to try most of the Victoria's side by side recently, and the Ivy League was by far my favorite.
What's the headroom like on the Ivy League? Is there any at all?

buzzp

Yeah, probably a bit more than a 5e3 style. But not loud drummer level headroom or anything.
Looks like that's a different circuit than the 5e9, I compared a 5e9 to the aforementioned Victoria amps (via Youtube) and I thought the 5e9 is much more inline with my needs. I think the chicago-lux is a 5f10?

wyatt

5F10 Harvard + trem= 5F11 Vibrolux

Victoria's 5E9a Tremolux is the Trem D'la trem

But if you want "puncher and higher headroom," the more-popular, fixed-biased 5G9 Tremolux may be more your thing. I believe Retroking and Marsh offer repros.

All of these amps (Harvard, Vibrolux, Tremolux) have milder, cleaner (relatively speaking) preamps compared to the typical 5E3. IIRC, they lack a bypass cap on one of their gain stages.

Last edited:

wyatt

Sorry for the confusion, I was wrong
It gets confusing over time.
  • The Tweed Vibrolux turns into the Brown Princeton (the circuits are nearly the same)
  • The Tweed Princeton dies off
  • The Brown Vibrolux is a new design
  • The Tweed Tremolux dies off
  • The Brown Tremolux starts as a unique amp, then just becomes the head version of the Brown Vibrolux
  • The Tweed Bassman evolves into the Brown Concert which evolves into the Blackface Super Reverb
  • The Tweed Concert dies off
  • The Brown Super dies off
Etc.

jpervin

The Tungsten Crema Wheat is definitely a higher headroom 5E3 variant. It sounds fantastic! It also loves just about any pedal you can throw at it, including trem pedals.

buzzp

The Tungsten Crema Wheat is definitely a higher headroom 5E3 variant. It sounds fantastic! It also loves just about any pedal you can throw at it, including trem pedals.
Greg V is sort of like Andy, in the sense that he could make a dead cat sound good, but this demo is great.

Trending Topics