• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best 5W 1x8" tube combo with good clean tone for jam sessions, practice, and home recording?

rabbuhl

I am looking now for a 5 watt 1x8" (or 1x10") tube combo which is light and loud enough to use for jam sessions and practices. I would also like a good clean tone and to also use it for home recording. The jam sessions are small bars so 5 watts would be loud enough even with a drummer.

Here is the short list (includes both 6.5", 8", and 10")
- Tubemeister 5 8" Combo (5 watt, 7.4 kg)
- Vox AC4C1-BL 10" Combo (4 watt, 9.0 kg)
- Ibanez TSA5TVR 8" Combo (5 watt, 8.3 kg)
- ZT Amplifiers The Lunchbox 6.5" Combo (40 watts, 4.3 kg)
- Blackstar HT-5R 12" Combo (5 watts, 12.3 kg)

[Edit: added these amps]
- VHT special 6 10" Combo (6 watts, 12.1 kg)
- Pro Junior 10" Combo (15 watts, 9.07kg)
- Bugera V5 12" Combo (5 watts, 10 kg)
- Gibson GA 5 8" Combo (15 watt, 9 kg)
- Champ or Vibrochamp
- Marshall Class 5

The Tubemeister does not have a great clean sound but it is really light and might be the easiest to use for home recording.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

sliberty

The Vox is very cool. I do prefer the AC4C1-12 however. The smaller cabinet and speaker makes the BL sound boxy by comparison (I played them side by side). Bright and chimey with really nice overdrive.

Note small amps don't have much bottom end. I modded my -12 with a better output transformer, which made a nice improvement. Still not going to get Marshall thump, but it sounds great. Truth is, it sounded really good before too, but this is a definite improvement.

guitarman3001

I'd go with the Blackstar. My second choice would be a Bugera V5. But with any 5 watt amp, an 8" speaker isn't going to cut it for a jam session with a drummer in any size bar. You will need to run it through the PA. Even a 12" speaker like the Blackstar has won't put out enough volume.

LeGar

I would also suggest looking at the VHT special 6 (I have one inbound). Everything I've read and heard suggests it's a bit of a modified Champ. They are about $250 new for the combo.

A Champ or Vibrochamp from the 70s is also a great option (will probably be my next purchase). They can be found in the $350-500 range depending on condition.

If you prefer a darker tone with little headroom, the Marshall Class 5 is a decent option. You can find them used in the $300 range.

Telecaster62

Used Gibson GA-5 or VHT Special 6 will both be perfect. Both sound excellent and have some great cleans with great natural dirt.

rabbuhl

I'd go with the Blackstar. My second choice would be a Bugera V5. But with any 5 watt amp, an 8" speaker isn't going to cut it for a jam session with a drummer in any size bar. You will need to run it through the PA. Even a 12" speaker like the Blackstar has won't put out enough volume.
We play at pretty low volume for a jam session.

I would also suggest looking at the VHT special 6 (I have one inbound). Everything I've read and heard suggests it's a bit of a modified Champ. They are about $250 new for the combo.

A Champ or Vibrochamp from the 70s is also a great option (will probably be my next purchase). They can be found in the $350-500 range depending on condition.

If you prefer a darker tone with little headroom, the Marshall Class 5 is a decent option. You can find them used in the $300 range.
Used Gibson GA-5 or VHT Special 6 will both be perfect. Both sound excellent and have some great cleans with great natural dirt.
I added these to the list.

Aslan

Bad Cat Minicat II, great amp but has a 12" speaker, also, I love my Rivera era Super Champ, it's 18 watts with a 10" speaker but it is very good for gigging.

Tbig

I have an Allen Chihuahua 6 watt. Has a Celestion Gold 10 and real spring reverb. This amp is my all time favorite "small" amp.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
I have a tweed Champ I built with an oversized (15 watt) OT and some beefier guts to handle bigger output tubes. It's housed in a normal tweed Champ cab with a Jupiter ceramic 8". Can't say enough great things about that speaker :), phenomenal lush, woody and evenly EQ'd sound, very tactile.

Running "just" the 6v6 is still pretty loud and ballsy, even before the amp starts distorting. It just gets even louder with a 6L6 or el34. I like the way the el34 sounds in it but I really prefer the 6v6.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
If clean is the goal, you might want to step up to something like a Princeton Rvb reissue. I think your concept is borderline workable depending on the drummer, plus how well you will be able to hear yourself...

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
The Ibanez having built-in reverb is a plus. The VHT Special 6 having a 10" speaker is a plus. The Pro Junior has more power but still very light weight.

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
I had this and a silverface fender champ at the same time in my (very small) home studio. For recording clean tones the champ is about 10x better...maybe 11
Really? I will add that I mostly played it overdriven and it's pretty bitchin.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Silverface champ (mine is actually a bronco) with a jupiter8 speaker. Killer tone and perfect for small jam/open mic's. Plus, put a 6L6 in it.

ilyslue2

Really? I will add that I mostly played it overdriven and it's pretty bitchin.
I think the valve junior really cool with fuzz boxes, but since op asked for a amp that will record well clean...the champ is much easier to work with.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
With the 6L6 in there, roll off the treble and the bass knobs and crank the volume for what Clapton used for the better part of a decade to record with. He used a 10" Lansing but the Jupiter 8" is pretty awesome.

small axe

i would go marshall class 5 or gibson 5 watter.......have/had both and they are nice little amps with enough power

DaveKS

I'd add Laney Cub 10 to your list, really not much dif between a 5-6w and 10w tube amp. Great little light amps. With gain knob down stays clean till about 1:00 on vol knob if using hi input and HB, then just gets a little crunchy. You can always dial in a little preamp gain at lower vol if you need some low vol overdrive. Takes pedals great.

Last edited:

Trending Topics