best 5watt amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gigino, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Gigino

Gigino Member

best 5watt amp

2. rsdean

rsdean Member

I've tried them all. For me, it's my Vintone SimpleX. 3-12 watts depending on power tube :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

guitar007 likes this.
  3. Blueser

Blueser Member

You would never know it, judging by the soundclips that they have up. The clips sound harsh, and loose in the low end. I have interested in the Vintone stuff for a while, but I have not heard any clips other than what's on their site.

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

That looks like such a beautiful amp. Do they make a 1x10 version?

5. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

Having just gotten one, I am partial to the Fargen Mini-Plex. Alas that might be bigger than you want though as it is switchable between 8 and 12 watts. It does have a master volume though and that crunchy-goodness-at-acceptable-volumes goodness.

I've also heard good things about the Fargen Bastage. The sound clips on his site, while good, don't do his amps justice IMO.

6. tub

tub Member

GA-5 Les Paul Jr. Goldtone is my favorite -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mark C

Mark C Member

I'm partial to the THD univalve.

8. hasserl

hasserl Member

This SE 6V6 should be good for about 5 watts of clean power. It is much louder than you would think, especially in pentode mode, and the 15" C15N sounds fantastic. I built it from an old Alamo with the intent of using it at open blues jams, but haven't actually used it at one yet as I've been afraid it wouldn't be loud enough. So I always fall back to one of my larger amps. But I do think it would cut it, I just need to take a chance one of these days and try it out.

[​IMG]

Triode operation melows it out quite a bit, in a very nice way, while also lowering the volume. I also gave it a high and low input & a "boost" switch, and it also has tube driven tremelo w/ ss driven reverb. With all the options the amp is actually quite versatile. But it sounds best cranked up! Amazing how good such a simple circuit can be.

9. kaseri

kaseri Member

Dr. Z Mini-Z is my pick.

10. Greg

Greg Member

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

+1. For it's price, it is nearly untouchable in this class (IMO) on the new boutique scene of hand wired stuff.

I also dig the Carr Mercury as well, but it is 2.5 times the price with more features.

12. Blueser

Blueser Member

13. Greg

Greg Member

I don't have any way of making clips. But I understand that Michael Swart, the guy who makes the amps, is a recording engineer. Maybe he will put some clips on his site.

14. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Are you asking for volume reasons? Recording reasons?

I haven't tried them all, but I've tried many. The only low wattage amp I've played that really blew me away was my Peters 3CP1. That could sound truly big and girthy at astonishingly low volume levels. Great space to the sound, great "weight" behind the notes and very dynamic attack. Sounded just as good loud. Alas, no longer made. I've owned tweed and blackface champs, small valco / supros, a small TopHat, a Zvex nanohead, univalve and probably some others I'm missing. Great amps the lot of them, but none were brilliant at very low volume (and still very loud cranked)

Right now I'm running my bigger amps into a hotplate then sending the line-out to the effect return of a Tech 21 TM 60 (not using the hotplate as an attenuator). That's getting me a better low volume tone than any small tube amp I've played ('cept maybe for the Peters).

Just my opinion, of course.

15. RedMitch

RedMitch Member

A Hi-Mu 6V6SE. They're no longer being made, but are well built and sound great. They came with lots of different options, from a single ch. to all the bells & whistles. I own a 6L6SE head and it feels and sounds very much like a "big amp" and thru a 2-12 cab will hang with a drummer at smaller gigs.

16. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Well it's probably too much power for your application :)) ), but the Fuchs Lucky 7 sounds amazing.

17. pcutt

pcutt Member

I'm curious about the Lucky 7 myself. Anybody have any hands-on experience with one of them?

18. Zane

Zane Member

+ another for the MINI-Z. I got mine just last week,it is a cool little tone MONTER!!

19. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

Hands down, for me, is the New Star Nova by Mark Sampson. I tried it against a tweed champ and a mini cat, and to my ears, it was no contest. It sounds like a BIG amp at really, really low apartment volumes, *and* it has alot of really big gainey tones in it. It also has a line out and a HEADPHONE input! Im fact, I was just jamming along with a Boss Loopstation with some headphones plugged in the back of the amp with the speaker disconnected. And its past midnight where I am! I got mine at www.supersoundmusic.com for $799. Check it out.

20. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

That looks like an extremely interesting amp. Seems a fair price as well.