Best '62 style Tele Pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mild, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mild

mild Member

Hi guys,

Plenty of info in here for getting the original 50's sound, the Broadcaster sound, the Esquire sound, etc... but the dreaded 3 letter search is stopping me finding '62 style suggestions!

So, open poll - who winds the best '62 Style replacements? I have a AV62ri that I love. The neck PU is stunning, I almost don't want to change it - but its noisy, and the middle position doesn't hum cancel. So I'm looking for a decent set. (I'll be wanting a less trebly-more-punchy bridge too, but that's a different story.)

I'm all ears. I've got Lollars' vintage set in my other tele, and its a great sound, but the chime of the '62 neck is what I've fallen in love with!

2. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

when I built a 59 replica I went with 60's style pickups as they didn't change too much between the time. I went with a hot peter florance voodoo 60's in the bridge and a duncan antiquity II in the neck. great combo in my opinion, the neck is a little bit weaker than the bridge in this case but it gives a great middle sound with a little sizzle if you want it.

good luck with the quest.

3. mild

mild Member

Cool bridge recommendation! I'll definitely check that out. :)

Antiquity's are definitely on the list. Anyone else?

4. jetlag

jetlag Member

I have a set of voodoo 60's tele pickups with his "strat-like" front pickup. Nice set, especially the rear pup although it's kind of a pig (fat, hot pickup). I also have a hamel tall neck pup and a set of Don Mare's tele pickups - his blackguard style 0038 lead pup and his "stelly" front pickup. I'd have to say the Don Mare stuff is my favorite. I really recommend him for "all things tele." Oh, and I have a set of 1960 tele pickups to compare it too. If you are looking for 60's, his 0038 set maybe isn't the set for you, but he can wind whatever you want.

5. mild

mild Member

Thanks! I like the look of Don's stuff, for sure... How is the S-Tele front pickup? I was intrigued... always loved that "strat" sound...

Last call! Anyone else?