Best 6550 amplifier?

tdkrause1

I love 6550 tubes and I'm looking for the best amplifier that uses or can use these tubes. I had a Koch Multitone which was a great amp but I was never really crazy about the overall equalization. Ideally I'd like to have something like a Bogner Shiva with 6550s. I would prefer a 3 channel amp with lots of gain. The clean channel doesn't have to be perfectly clean (never had much use for 100% clean). So, any suggestions?

Griz

I had a Hiwatt DR103 that had been rebiased to take 6550's. Explosively loud, but great sounding in that amp.

Get ear plugs.

;)

telewacker

The Lee Jackson designed Ampeg VL 1002 and VL502 can use either EL34-6CA7 or 6550-KT88 tubes. These amps are sleepers. Great cleans and OD at any volume (within reason) and can be found on ebay for around $500. High gain with great clarity and definition.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Two channel JCM800 with a good overdrive pedal to make it a three channel.

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
Alessandro Redbone Special with a Mosferatu and Jetter GSR OD pedals!!!!

tdkrause1

The Lee Jackson designed Ampeg VL 1002 and VL502 can use either EL34-6CA7 or 6550-KT88 tubes. These amps are sleepers. Great cleans and OD at any volume (within reason) and can be found on ebay for around $500. High gain with great clarity and definition.

Is that the one with the built in attenuator? I think my friend has one of those.

bosstone

my JCM800 is loaded with 6550s, explosive is a good term for these tubes!

Lots of people pull the 6550's out of their JCM 800s and replace them with EL34's. I kept my 6550s in because I loved the way they sounded. I even liked the way they sounded at low volume.

telewacker

Is that the one with the built in attenuator? I think my friend has one of those.

Yes but it is not really an attenuator. It works by changing voltages in the power section more like power scaling as far as I know. It works really well too.

hongsta

My new PURPLE Bogner Ecstasy loaded w/ 6550s that I just bought from Steve Snider (I think originally purchased by fellow TGP'er Matt Henderson). This things kicks A$$!!!

FFTT

The VVT Amps Earthquake 9.1 Overdrive can be custom biased for any power tubes including 6550's
http://www.vvtamps.com/earthquake.htm
Overdrive-eq-page.gif

All hand wired, exceptional build quality at a reasonable price.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom