best '68/'69 plexi clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sabbath90, Apr 29, 2005.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

hey guys. i'm somewhat happy with my extremely modified marshall 1959slp reissue, but i'd like to find out about some other plexi clones. the late 60's ones are the kind i'm looking for. i'd like it to be hand wired, and be as close to 'authentic' as possible. thanks everyone.

2. rockytop blues

rockytop blues Member

Check out new kid on the block in the dealers emporium.

3. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

I have a Blockhead BLK45 that I love. I really think Blockhead takes great pains to make a clone that's exact as possible. They have some parts custom made and use expensive components like Allen Bradley carbon comp resistors and sealed Clarostat pots (about $12 per pot). They are beautifully built using the same layout. I got a good deal on mine used.

http://www.blockheadamps.com/

If you're not worried about an exact replica then Germino's are the schizznit with a lot of folks around here.

http://www.germinoamps.com/

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

AIken Invader or Intruder - you get Plexi and Aluminum
    panel tone with master vol/or attenuator and Reverb

5. HHB

HHB Member

Germino all the way

6. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Voodoo amps V-plex is a replica of 6 68. They used Mercury magnetics to clone the specs of the old OTs......

www.voodooamps.com

No offense to Germino and Blockhead both great amps for sure...but for a 100W head they ask about $2400, Voodoo's 100w head is $1795....It is all point to point, etc.....and it is not based on a plexi is a faithful copy of a ’68 plexi…Just incase $ is an issue, also I think metroamps makes a good plexi clone….

7. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

wow. the voodoo looks VERY nice. i think that might be the winner.

8. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Germino...........

9. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Trust us Germino users and you'll never look back. I have a Germino Classic 45 that produces nothing but awesome tone!

Mike

10. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

jesse at rockytop makes marshalls as good as anyone on the planet. for a lot less

11. 908SSP

908SSP Member

The Ganesha sounds as good or better then any 18 watter at 18 watts and still has 100watts if you should need it. With the Maven Peal you get every wattage Marshall from 1 to 100, sounds like a hell of a deal to me. If you only use 50 watts or less you put a pair of KT66 and pair of EL34s in it then with a flick of a switch you change from JTM sound to a JMP sound.

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I had the 50 watter, and it sounds 20-30% richer than my friends all original plexi. It cleans up better, takes pedals better, and just sounds better from top to bottom. It does NOT have the modern features of the Aitken or THD, but if you want the best plexi tone, this is it to my ear. I owned several originals years ago as well.

Bruno Pony 100

[​IMG]

The Bruno Pony 100 is British Plexi sound taken to it's finest with gobs of tone. This amp rocks with loud, strong, bright British tones that have superb detail and clarity. It has richly balanced clean and grind tones mixed with dynamic brilliance and great note articulation. The Pony 100 has a refined pristine voice that just gets lusher and more complex as you crank it up.

13. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

+1 on Germino. I have a Lead 55 that is the perfect Plexi sound for me. It's in the $1900 range. For a cheaper amp that is equally as awesome in it's own way, I'd go with my Rt 66. It has a Plexi vibe mated with a JTM 45, with a touch of Hiwatt thrown in. Very nice and can be found used in the $1000-1200 range. new only $1500. 33 watts too, so not nearly as loud.

14. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Well the Rt 66 isn't going to be as close to authentic as you may like. It is the Dr's own design, but it's tone puts you pretty close.

15. gnugear

gnugear Member

If you want to try building one, Metroamp.com is about as accurate as they come.

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

17. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I have to second Jon's recommendation. I LOVE my new to me/old Traynor YBA-1. I've had two of these now. (The first one I gave to my bro a few Christmases ago. After Alan Durham added a master volume to it, it has become one of his main amps.) The first was a '68 with the SS recitifier. Loud, in your face vintage Marshall/Fender/Hiwatt tones. The second, which I still have is a '65 which has a tube rectifier and 7027 (6L6-type) tubes. It sounds great and gets me closer to the AC/DC tones than I've ever been. I thought something was wrong with it, but it turns out it was one of the tubes.

On top of all of the amazing vintage tube tone, these things sell for $400. It is a real no-brainer to me. Of course, if your amp has to say Marshall on it, you are going to be paying 10 times the price to get into this period amp.

Thanks again Jon for pressuring me into buying this amp! ;) I simply LOVE it! :D

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

19. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I guess it was just a link to the auction that you posted. I was the one that clicked on it, right? ;)

20. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I'm installing a metro board in my '78 super Bass right now. It's a hell of a lot of fun! Not all that hard either..