Best 70's Marshall Crunch in a Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Craftmatic, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I'm sure this has been done to death. If so point me to a thread. I want that AC/DC, Led Zep Les Paul distortion in a pedal. I have an Xotic BB Preamp which covers the BluesBreaker sound but I want something that approaches a stack sound.

2. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I hear the z.vex Box of Rock is good. I don't have too much experience though, when I want 70s marshall I just turn up my 70s marshall :)

3. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

I really dig my Lovepedal COT50 Gold. I posted a long review of it awhile back.

4. Cotton

Cotton Member

This is a great question.... I too, have these tones covered in amps... it would be nice to find a pedal that did the same for when gear is borrowed or rented...

I'm anxious to hear the answers...

so far...

BOR
    COT 50 Gold

Thanks,

Cotton

5. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

The BB is more a JCM 800 type of tone to my ears, too tight and too gainy for the bluesbreaker sound.

6. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Does the OCD fit into this category at all (category being "I don't have a Marshall stack but want my little Fender-style amp to sound like one")?

7. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I've had both the Box of Rock and the Menatone King of the Britain. IMO, the BoR was a bit more JTM-45ish, whereas the KOTB perhaps a bit more plexi-sounding. I did prefer the KOTB over the BoR. Better sounding to my ears (though many will probably disagree).

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Fetto Deluxe...

Sounds more like a Marshall Super Lead (e.g. early Van Halen), but can clean up for light crunch blues stuff, or get a bit over the top like sustaining Satch. Very dynamic as well, so you can adjust the gain from clean to balls with your volume knob or pick attack.

-Ben

9. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

have you tried the menatone WMB?

10. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the COT - turns my Fender amp into a Marshall nightly. Not a high gain pedal, but very sweet Plexish tones.

11. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

The question here is more of what amp are you using? If your trying to transform a Fender type amp then you would use a different type of pedal then if you were using a Marshall type amp to begin with. So far I've been the most satisfied with the Menatone Pedals overall as they seem to sound and feel more natural then pretty much everything I've tried. For instance I'd take the Menatone KOTB over an OCD for marshall type sounds yet way more people use the OCD. There are certainly a lot of choices out there.

12. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I'm using a Fender BF Deluxe-style amp, the Fargen Blackbird 30.

13. daveg777

daveg777 Member

CMATMODS Brownie and don't look back...

Dave

:dude

14. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Barber Direct Drive does a great 70's Marshall. :AOK

15. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I'm running through a Hot Rod Dlx-sounding amp (a Fender Hot Rod Dlx) and I use an OCD ver.4. I can't go too heavy with the bass knob on the amp (but that's okay because I don't usually run the bass past 10 or 11 o'clock). I would love to get a KOTB at some point (the newest version), but I'll have to find one used because $250 is a lot for me (the dollar's not buying much lately--Thanks a lot, Georgie-boy), and I already comitted myself to a Megavibe and a few other things, and I have to give the neck on my Strat Plus a dress and crown. I do love the sound of the Menatone stuff. There aren't many companies that commit to making strickly amp tone pedals, rather than your run-of-the-mill super distortion fair. And their stuff sounds so good.
    Still, it IS hard to beat the "amp in a box" sound of the newest OCD. With the right amp (one with a middle-of-the-road bass sensibility), it really kills for 70's Marshall sounds.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  16. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

the barber DD, the BOR are your best bets, otherwise I would say a fuzz

17. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I use a Direct Drive and an OCD- Direct Drive is more modern sounding to me, where as the OCD is much better for the 70's Marshall sound. Both great pedals, but for 70's Marshall crunch the OCD kills.

18. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

So here's the current contenders (I'd be running through a BF Deluxe-style amp):

1) Jetter Gain Stage Purple $199

2) Crunch Box $129.95

3) Cmatmods Brownie $135

Someone on another thread said the Jetter sounds like an amp whereas the Crunch Box sounds like a pedal before an amp. However $199 is a bit pricey for the Jetter, especially if I want to try a few of these for comparison. I want something that is simple to use, something that really sounds like a cranked Marshall Plexi (through a BF Fender) and will get me to AC/DC - Led Zep zone with a Les Paul and early Hendrix with a Strat.

:dude:dude:dude

19. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Marshall's own Lil Gov'nor GV-2 pedal. $70. Sounds great.