best a/b/y box?????

i need an a/b/y box and im thinking of getting a whirlwind. ive heard the morleys have a bad pop sometimes when switching and i dont want to build my own. anyone here use a whirlwind??? any other suggested boxes???

schmit

I haven't tried the Whirlwind but I just received a Loooper ABY. Hand made true bypass in a small box....you can pick the finish and the LED colors. Oh....and no pops like a Morley. One other thing I like is if your in the "A" mode and go to the "both" mode, the "A" light stays on so you don't forget what your primary amp is. David was behind this summer but I think he's back on track now as far as lead times.
http://www.loooper.com/
Click on ABY's along the top

Priestunes

I'll second Looopers' quality. I have a micro true bypass.

As for the "best" A/B Both boxes, I have heard that the Framptone is IT, but I use the Radial Switchbone and am content. Lehle is another maker of some repute. One thing that the Framptone and Switchbone's have is the reverse polarity switch, just in case your amps aren't in phase. If they're not, you can reverse the pos. and neg. to one amps speaker(s), but it's pretty handy to just flick a switch.

Radial Switchbone

Framptone

Den

Gold Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I love the Radial Switchbone ... plus it's got a boost that can be adjusted a number of ways to suit your tastes ... or used as a tuner mute. Great pedal.

Daddy Elmis

I run 2 amps (but not together). I started out with a Rolls A/B/Y and a noisier, bigger POS does not exist. Went to a Morley -- slightly better but still noisey.

Bought a Startouch -- great pedal, much less noise but still had the ground loop issue.

Finally broke down and bought a Lehle. No more problems. Magnificent pedal. When you absolutely, positively need clean, noise free A/B switching -- Lehle.

G

Guff

Originally posted by Daddy Elmis
When you absolutely, positively need clean, noise free A/B switching -- Lehle.
I like mine so much that when I see another one for sale I want to buy it. Crazy!

OOG

Originally posted by britishampsrock
i need an a/b/y box and im thinking of getting a whirlwind. ive heard the morleys have a bad pop sometimes when switching and i dont want to build my own. anyone here use a whirlwind??? any other suggested boxes???
been using the same one i bought in '86
still going strong

Dday

Gold Supporting Member
I've been using the %by13 Switchhazel with great results. A/B/Y with muted tuner out, and an adjustable boost. I've had it on the road for almost two years now with no problems. My only gripe...it's too tall for my taste...about 2-1/4". Also have a Startouch. Used a little here and there with no problems...built like a tank! Plus, Tony's a great guy!

Dday

landru64

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Den
I love the Radial Switchbone ... plus it's got a boost that can be adjusted a number of ways to suit your tastes ... or used as a tuner mute. Great pedal.
and it's got the drag control.... i had a lehle and it worked great (esp. without power!!!) but i took it back in favor of the switchbone

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
In terms of "no-compromise" quality I belive its down to the Lehle and the Switchbone. The switchbone seems to be the better deal for the money. Radial is supposed to be coming out with a cheaper ($60) model called the "bigshot" anyday now. Its got a cool phase reverse option that would let you combine the two channels on a vintage Fender Reverb amp with out phase cancellation. :dude However the photo doesn't show any LED's for each channel:confused:

Den

Gold Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by landru64
and it's got the drag control.... i had a lehle and it worked great (esp. without power!!!) but i took it back in favor of the switchbone
Good point ... depending on your rig, the drag control could be helpful as well. Everything I've heard about the Lehle is great, but since I couldn't imagine my Switchbone working more perfectly, I've never had the need to try one. (BTW ... did I mention how good the boost is??? :D)

Trending Topics