Best acoustic for $1,000 max??

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by JDavisNJ, Jan 15, 2008.

1. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a nice acoustic for $1,000 max. It can be under obviously if it is worth it.

I need something that is loud, vibrant, and not dead sounding. Not very descriptive, I know. It will be my first real acoustic.

I was looking at the Martin D-16RGT...

Any other suggestions??

-Joe

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Hard to beat the Larrivee's at that price point.

3. royd

royd Member

there are a lot of options... some very nice Seagulls, a used Taylor 200 or 300 series, maybe a takamine, the epiphone masterbuilt series, blueridge, Fender ensenada series, breedlove atlas... all have guitars in your price range that are nice.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

For me that exact same price range turned into a Breedlove Atlas AD-25+. Remarkable guitar; for the price it was a tremendous value.

5. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

For around $750 the Epiphone Masterbuilts are hard to beat. At that price the thing has the pickup built in and all...

6. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

I picked up my breedlove atlast dm-200(?) it's the no-frills model with satin finish. I got that and the awesome breedlove gigbag for under 500 including tax a couple years back. I wasn't much of an acoustic player beforehand, after I got the breedlove, I usually go for acoustic playing more than electric playing now.

great guitars, very consistant, and not heavy on the wallet.

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I've had 2 of the Breedlove Atlas series. The 1st one cracked while sitting in its case. Breedlove was great about replacing it. But the replacement had a warped neck and terrible high action. I was able to bring the action down enough to make it playable, but never was able to solve the neck problem. So those are enough problems to make me look elsewhere.

Alvarez makes some great guitars in that price range. You might give them a look...

8. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

9. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm checking out the Larrivee D-03R right now actually. As well as the Breedloves.

So, what are the general sound differences between rosewood and mahogany back/sides?

-Joe

10. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

You'll love the Larrivee's.

Rosewood - generally produces more bass
    Mahogany - generally produces more mids

Be sure to check out the "L" body style in the Larrivee's. The general consensus is the "L" body is more balanced sound wise. It also has an 1 3/4" fingerboard which is somewhat better for fingerstyle.

I have an L-03R and it is a super "all around" guitar.

You'll flip over the maple binding.

The D, L, and OM (03) rosewood series can be had for about $825.00, the mahogany about $780.00. If you're lucky, you might still be able to find a SA mahogany in lieu of the sapele.

Be sure to check with Guitar Adoptions, Trinity Guitars, and Notable Guitars. All are great Larrivee dealers, but my two came from Dave at Guitar Adoptions.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

11. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

12. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I'd go with an Alvarez-Yairi.

13. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I have a DC-16rgt and it is a great guitar. I would say play it since I found some variation in multiple guitars of the same model.

I would also check out Seagull guitars. They are cheap but sound great. I had one before my Martin and I still miss it. It just has a totally different vibe.

14. Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis Member

Agree on the L body for Larrivees, and I also agree about Dave at Guitar Adoptions. He's great to deal with and has some very nice affordable stuff.

Alvarez Yari was another good suggestion. Also throw in a used Guild Bluegrass Jubilee.

15. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

+1 I own the Atlas AC25/SR Plus - it's a great guitar and, as SP states above, a tremendous value. Paid 999.99 I think Breedlove has expanded the Atlas series of late, too. Might want to check their site.

16. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Thanks so much for your suggestions guys.

I'm gonna go play some Larrivees this week hopefully.

-Joe

17. JB

JB Member

I get NOTHING but compliments on how nice my Larrivee L-03R sounds. This all comes from guys with high end Taylors.

18. guitarstan

guitarstan Member

I've owned 3 Larrivee's and they are all great guitars, I still have two. I sold the Brazilian to finance a once in a lifetime Les Paul. I have a 6 string C-10 in Koa and a 12 string. The quality control and workmanship are very hard to beat especially at their price point.