Best acoustic guitar on a budget?

dazco

Recording king. I actually think the all solid models rival guitars in a VERY non budget range. My $350 (at least thats what i paid about 3 years ago) all solid RO10 IMO sounds better than the $3000 MSRP larrivee i had before it. I've had a lot of budget acoustic like seagulls and guild CAD's etc. They aren't IMO in the same league due to the RK's far better dynamics. And unlike the aforementioned budget models, my RK doesn't show it's trues colors when you slam it hard, Thats where cheap guitars show thier cheapness. Hit em hard and they sound like cheap guitars. The RK holds up in that test. In fact, i once had an ultra cheapie called a rouge which actually sounded fabulous. I couldn't believe what i was hearing from a $100 acoustic. That is, till i strummed it hard and it sounded horrible the harder you hit it. So you had to just play it softly.

bgmacaw

What do you consider "on a budget"? $100? $300? $500? $1200?

Also, what style are you looking for (dread, jumbo, classical, parlor) and what style of music do you want to play?

Do you want a cutaway?

Do you want onboard electronics?

What do you consider "on a budget"? $100? $300? $500? $1200?

Also, what style are you looking for (dread, jumbo, classical, parlor) and what style of music do you want to play?

Do you want a cutaway?

Do you want onboard electronics?
Probably like 500 and less. I like parlor guitars a lot and im not a huge fan of cutaways although my guitar now has one. I like to play blues and some folk stuff

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
For blues and folk, that might mean a 12 fretter, maybe a 000 or 00. Lots of options nowadays. Recording King guitars are really nice. Hopefully there's a good store around. Frankly I think acoustic shopping is a breeze. The better guitars will jump out at you and comparisons are pretty easy.

With a $500 budget, spend high 300's and get fretwork and done by someone pretty good.
Frets are installed, but that's that, certainly in everything even close to that price range.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Speaking of Recording King Dirty 30s 000 is incredible for a throw-down beater guitar.

BigPapiFan

In my experience, first buy used. If you are patient you can find amazing deals on used acoustic guitars. I have found USA Guilds, Seagulsl, Alvarez Yairsi or Epiphone Masterbilts for very reasonable prices.

Duffy

I have in recent years mainly stopped buying really inexpensive guitars. I am in the process of upgrading my collection to very decent guitars, some USA and some imports.

I would recommend saving up and getting a more expensive guitar, doing your research and spending your money wisely.

The Guild GAD D125 looks like a great import solid mahogany acoustic guitar that can be had relatively inexpensively. 525 with hardshell case from American Musical Supply. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GUI-3810110-821

American Musical even has a three pay option that they offer, that you may want to call and check into. I don't like to mention things like this to people that I don't know anything about and have no idea about their reliability and financial situation, but most of the online places offer "similar" plans, just not the same type of plan. I'd say if you have a regular income that you should call them. You might be surprised. If you don't have a job or a guaranteed income, I'd say forget it. You can't be shaky about something like this.

Washburn also has that really cool "Warren Haynes" signature acoustic for 599. Check it out. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-WAS-WSD5240STSK It's really a cool guitar. You will have to click on the link to see the picture. These pictures below are the GAD D125 dread.

Last edited:

straightblues

Just go to every shop in your area that carries used guitars. Pawn shops tend to have a lot around where I live. Just play them all until you like the tone of one and buy it.

pszy22

what do you mean by the 10 series? I have the OM cutaway model, fwiw. A couple of the OOO guitars have a 10 in them.
I was thinking about the RD-10, RO-10, ROS-10, RP-10. THey are all solid wood instruments with a minimum of frills.

BlackOne

It's funny that nobody mentioned Sigma Guitars. Great guitars, made under the licence from C.F. Martin & Co. I've played few of their models available in a local guitar store, but DR28 sounded really close to the real thing. Check it out.
http://www.sigma-guitars.com/

Duffy earlier suggested the Guild GAD series; I'll second that and suggest something from Yamaha's 'L' series also.

Trending Topics