Best acoustic pickup - anything that sounds like a well miced guitar?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by guitarlix, Feb 23, 2010.

1. throbert

throbert Member

I found the installation instructions for my K & K last night which I never looked at before. There is a procedure in there on how to remove the contacts and all of the superglue without damaging the bridgeplate. However, it plainly states the pickups will like not survive. Needless to say, they recommend an experienced luthier should perform the feat with the proper tools.

2. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

+1. The Aura system does that and overcomes the other issues related to using a mic as well.

[​IMG]

3. MortenFaerestrand

MortenFaerestrand Member

I really HATE all piezos!

The mics that go in the soundhole can be great, I have a Seymor Duncan, which is both magnetic and microphone(with a blend knob). I A/B tested it with a much more expensive fishman soundhole system, and the SD was remarkebly better!

I have even recorded in studio with it, and really surpriced a producer with golden ears when I told him it was recorded not with a regular external mic!! It works really well live too, I will NEVER use a piezo again.

4. orogeny

orogeny Member

closest i've ever heard is what's in my guitars. . . .

petillo:

http://www.petilloguitars.com/pickups.php

i've also been pretty impressed with a rare earth blend.

i didn't like the LR Baggs M1 at all.

5. orogeny

orogeny Member

that guitar looks too nice to have that big hole cut into it for all that hardware. . .

6. gopherbroke

gopherbroke Member

What is the exact model if I amy ask, is the ip-2 system? That's sounds like the one for me, or is just the ip1? thank you

7. gopherbroke

gopherbroke Member

also,what is the preamp, does Highlander make it? thanks. I have a very special acoustic I am ordering and I have to get right the first time. no replacments can be done later!

8. gopherbroke

gopherbroke Member

9. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Supporting Member

I have the K&K system. The glue on transducers and the mic. I also use their preamp and go into a mixer and K8. I'm really happy with the sound, no complaints at all. As Walter mentioned the install is nerve racking. I took my time, did practice runs and did a bang up job on two really fine guitars. (I'm no luthier, just a bit handy.)

10. go7

go7 Member

Same here. Martin OMCPA1 and heil pr35 vocal mike into Fishman Loudbox performer and out to pa.