1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Best Active Subwoofer For Solo Acoustic Performer??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by sidbrns16, May 18, 2011.

1. sidbrns16

sidbrns16 Member

Here's my deal: I'm a solo acoustic performer, play about 150+ gigs a year, play rooms from 50-200 people, I play a lot of upbeat top 40 material. I use a pick and play with a heavy percussive style so that I can keep people dancing, I tend to play rooms that bands play in so I need to be loud and have a thumping low end to compete with bands, AND so I don't have a wimpy acoustic sound.

My gear: a neumann kms 105 mic, a martin omjm guitar with an installed LR Baggs Dual Source piezo/mic system, d'adarrio 12-56 phos. bronze srings, an LR Baggs Para DI preamp, a Bose T1 digital mixer, and two QSC K10 speakers.

What I need: I'm looking for a great powered subwoofer to fill out my bass strings and provide a big "thump" for my percussive style playing and some beats that I play on the guitar & run through a loop station.

I've seen a lot of powered subs and my head is spinning. I was thinking about getting a QSC KSub (2x12) until I heard there's much better for the money. So i'm looking at the QSC KW181 (though it's more than what i'd like to spend), Mackie HD 1501 and HD1801, Yamaha DSR 118, and yorkville LS 720P.

One of my big concerns is the frequency response being too low: getting lots of thump but little boost in my low 2 strings notes (77-130hz). If someone can help me narrow this down or suggest something I'm not aware of then PLEASE HELP! BTW I'd like to stay under 100lbs, and don't want a 21" speaker because I'm not playing techno raves :omg

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Yorkville LS720P is nice, but I can't really imagine a sub doing a whole lot of good things to an acoustic guitar since they don't do much in the sub frequency range anyway. I could see it wreaking havoc with feedback though.

If it were me, I'd get whatever the local GC or Sam Ash has, probably a QSC, and try it out and see if you actually get the benefit you want. If you do, then either keep it or return it and try to narrow your choices further.

You might be better just going to 12 or 15" mains.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

4. The Kid

The Kid Member

That one looks like it might do the job.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

there's plenty for a sub to do with an acoustic guitar sound, especially plugged-in solo acoustic with a percussive playing style. each "thump" on the bridge produces plenty of sub-100Hz signal.

i can't imagine needing anything bigger than a Ksub or an ls720P, and even that will need to be gently employed to keep from sounding too weird.

6. sidbrns16

sidbrns16 Member

GCDEF - if i was just strumming away all night i probably wouldn't need one, but i'm thumping a lot on the bridge and laying down a lot of bass heavy grooves so adding a sub really makes a huge difference for that style, especially in big rooms.

loudboy- that Proel is interesting, and has A LOT of great reviews! I can't seem to find a max db rating for them though...?

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

8. sidbrns16

sidbrns16 Member

Thanks, i'm impressed with the numbers and the reviews. This may be my answer!