Best affordable el34s?

Stompbox59

Silver Supporting Member
hi, new TGP member here.
Best el34's that won't break the bank? Of course NOS Mullards would be nice but can't afford em. Not sure I can afford winged C's either but if they're that much better than svetlanas, TAD and the new re-issued Mullards then maybe I can spring for some. Who likes what and in what amps? The amps in question for me are a Jackson Ampworks Britain 4.0 and matchless clubman. Looking to improve on the JJ's that came in the amps. Thanks!

Darkburst

Silver Supporting Member
I like the reissue Mullards. Just buy them from a place that tests the bajeezus out of them.

Stompbox59

Silver Supporting Member
I like the reissue Mullards. Just buy them from a place that tests the bajeezus out of them.

Thanks! I saw a thread on here where amp builder George Metropolous was saying the same thing - that he buys re-issue Mullards and tests them, keeping the good and tossing the bad. Any suggestions for a place to buy them from where they do pre-test them? Also, I don't know enough about tubes to know what test results im looking for. Is there a short answer to that - at least for el34's?

Darkburst

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks! I saw a thread on here where amp builder George Metropolous was saying the same thing - that he buys re-issue Mullards and tests them, keeping the good and tossing the bad. Any suggestions for a place to buy them from where they do pre-test them? Also, I don't know enough about tubes to know what test results im looking for. Is there a short answer to that - at least for el34's?
I buy power tubes from Upscale Audio. They're more into serving the hi-fi scene, but I've had good experiences buying from them. I'm sure others will chime in with good vendors too.

EADGBE

What's wrong with JJ EL34s in your opinion? They're my favorites right now. Especially since SED no longer makes EL34s.

Stompbox59

Silver Supporting Member
What's wrong with JJ EL34s in your opinion? They're my favorites right now. Especially since SED no longer makes EL34s.
I guess I just feel like they are a little lifeless in my Jackson Britain. Also going off some opinions of others I've heard / talked with and a el34 shootout video that Rivera amps has on YouTube in which the JJ's don't sound as responsive as some
Of the others. Of course i know you can't tell too much from a YouTube vid. But it's good to hear from someone who likes the JJ's. What amp do you run their 34s in? Maybe I can save some money and just upgrade preamp tubes....

drmatty

I also like JJ. I run them in a Morgan ac20 dlx. Reliable and cheap. Just change them when they lose their punch. A few hundred hours or so at volume.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
The Chinese EL-34B are a solid tube, again, buy from a reputable who tests them (like KCA, Doug's)

GT100

I guess I just feel like they are a little lifeless in my Jackson Britain. Also going off some opinions of others I've heard / talked with and a el34 shootout video that Rivera amps has on YouTube in which the JJ's don't sound as responsive as some
Of the others. Of course i know you can't tell too much from a YouTube vid. But it's good to hear from someone who likes the JJ's. What amp do you run their 34s in? Maybe I can save some money and just upgrade preamp tubes....
That has been my experience with them as well.

Lloyd

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
I use the Ruby BHT because of the high plate voltage in the Bogner. I really like the sound. My Winged =C= SEDs really did go flat quickly.

sickboy79

I'm in the minority usually on this tube but, I'm a big fan of the EH EL34. To my ears, it reminds me of the RFT/Siemens EL34s when pushed. Very reasonably priced too.

Trending Topics