• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best (affordable) Headphones for Mixing?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I have been using some HD280 Sennheiser phones for a number of years but was wondering what would be a better headphone for mixing these days?

neoprimitive

AKG K240's.. I have a pair of the hd280's, got them cheap at GC.. not bad for basic headphone use, but once I stepped up to the AKG's, was a new dimension.

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
Another Vote for the AKG 240s. Comfortable, lightweight, and they just sound good.

Had a nice pair of AT closed backs before, but the AKGs sound "Truer".

dpeterson

+2 on the k240's get the s model as the original ones take a lot of power to push. very neutral.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks a lot guys..... The AKG 240 S it is then....many many thanks..... should it be the Mk II version or doesn't it matter?

loudboy

I like the 240s, mainly due to being relatively uncolored and very comfortable to wear.

rigg

What's the best high gain 100 watt head for my coffee house acoustic duo?

:rimshot

Save yourself some frustration and get some monitors. Mixing in headphones is a waste of time and effort.

rolsen

At some point (and maybe you do already), you'll need near field monitors of decent quality for 95% of your mixing. That said, I reference on my tracking phones, the HD280s. Also reference through Apple earbuds and a 'grot box' - the affordable mono Avantone. After that, it's the home theater, car, alarm clock, Lap top... Mixing is hard.

Monotremata

What's the best high gain 100 watt head for my coffee house acoustic duo?

:rimshot

Save yourself some frustration and get some monitors. Mixing in headphones is a waste of time and effort.
And mixing on 240s are worse then NS-10s. I'd use em for balancing instruments but that's it. No way would I use those while eq'ing..

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I've got a good pair of the higher end KRK monitors that I use but wanted an alternative to mix at night when the rest of the family is sleeping.
Are there any headphones that folks mix on?

vlammie

I'm very happy with my Denon AH-D2000's, but nearfield monitors like the Adam F7 might be better for mixing, and not that expensive.

emdub123

Whether you use monitors, HD280s or the high-dollar headphones you're probably still going to burn the mix to a cd and listen in the car or whatever your process is. I've found that after mixing through my Sony MDR7506 phones then burning a disc and listening in the car for a while, I know where to compensate. Less reverb, back off on the vocals, bring up the kick, etc. It's totally true that you can't trust the mix you get through the phones, but the other side of the story is that the phones are CONSISTENT. They are off in almost exactly the same way every time. That's not to say that you won't waste CDs, but at least they're cheap and at least you can mix when the kids are asleep.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Whether you use monitors, HD280s or the high-dollar headphones you're probably still going to burn the mix to a cd and listen in the car or whatever your process is. I've found that after mixing through my Sony MDR7506 phones then burning a disc and listening in the car for a while, I know where to compensate. Less reverb, back off on the vocals, bring up the kick, etc. It's totally true that you can't trust the mix you get through the phones, but the other side of the story is that the phones are CONSISTENT. They are off in almost exactly the same way every time. That's not to say that you won't waste CDs, but at least they're cheap and at least you can mix when the kids are asleep.
great points emdub, thank you..... yea, I always check my mixes the next day on my car stereo. It certainly helps

Trending Topics

Top Bottom