• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Best affordable resonators in 2020

Trem-o-dust

As much as I wish I could get myself a Mule, Covid took that away from me for a LONG time. I would really like to get a resonator though. For those of you with resonator experience, what budget models would you consider worth looking at. Preferably something under 800USD.

Your tips are most appreciated!

Yamaha 350

De Rosa DBI-VSB. Die-cast spider bridge, and 10-1/2" spun aluminum resonator cone.

Constructed of a laminated spruce top, Sapele back & side, and maple neck.

Royal Resonator Parlor sized resonator guitar. Nickel and brass with a biscuit style cone.

Fender electric resonator. Guitar.

1606058342687.png

1606058547564.png

1606058695389.png

1606059160020.png

1606059195158.png

1606059235644.png

Attachments

BrettBob

Really depends on the type of resonator - Spider, Biscuit, or Tricone?

I have a Recording King round neck spider that I enjoy. They are typically available for under $500

Republic makes a variety of steel body biscuit and tricones for under $800. I have a Republic Tricone that is more than decent..

I've found both to be a slight step above Gretch and Regal.

Last edited:

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Republic Tricone, also.

Was a great value. I moved it on because I wasn't playing it.

I think they are currently sold out, as the supply line has been interrupted but you can find'em used.

THiwaTT

I would go with Aiersi I have owned one and it was great for the money ~$380 including a dura-foam case if I remember correctly

FYI Aiersi is the OEM for Republic, Regal, and Oscar Schmidt, as well as some of the other new real companies I believe

I think that “republic” looks a bit nicer on the headstock than “aiersi” But not for 2x the cost

the owner of the company is very nice, shipping was crazy fast, and it was a solid guitar

Trem-o-dust

I would go with Aiersi I have owned one and it was great for the money ~$380 including a dura-foam case if I remember correctly

FYI Aiersi is the OEM for Republic, Regal, and Oscar Schmidt, as well as some of the other new real companies I believe

I think that “republic” looks a bit nicer on the headstock than “aiersi” But not for 2x the cost

the owner of the company is very nice, shipping was crazy fast, and it was a solid guitar
These are actually good looking and from the few videos I can find online they sound great. DId you order directly from them I gather?

THiwaTT

These are actually good looking and from the few videos I can find online they sound great. DId you order directly from them I gather?
yes, I was originally looking at a Republic parlor resonator in a local shop, then I had read somewhere about Aiersi being the manufacturer for them. The owner/sales manager was great to deal with, and the guitar arrived to me within the week I ordered it.

I then went and compared the Aiersi to a Republic, and found that the sound and construction were definitely the same (exact same inlays, cone, cover-plate shape, etc)

I believe that Republic imports/sorts/performs thorough setups

this was pre-tariffs, so the price was literally 1/2 of what you would pay from other companies, I haven’t checked their prices lately.

overall a very cool little guitar that projected sound like crazy

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
I found a Republic in a pawn shop that someone had grafted an entire original 1930s National headstock onto with a scarf joint. I thought it was a very nice guitar for the price, and it had me fooled for a while until I saw the joint at the headstock. Those are nice and are decently affordable used.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member

I knew Frank was importing them from somewhere in Asia but didn't know the company.

Thanks for the information.

Trending Topics