Best affordable way to go ampless and direct into PA?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman3001, Apr 23, 2015.

1. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I currently have a Behringer GDI 21

[​IMG]

and it works ok but is almost impossible to get a good clean sound out of. Even on the tweed amp setting with the drive almost all the way down it already has some dirt. Also, the lack of a mid control is frustrating because without the ability to adjust mids, it sounds hollow and doesn't really cut through a live mix.

I also have a Joyo AC Tone which I haven't had a chance to try direct into a PA yet but I'm not sure if that pedal has any kind of cab/speaker simulation built into it so it might not sound that great direct into a PA.

What I need is an amp/cab simulator pedal with a good clean tone so I can just run it as if it were a clean amp and then use dirt pedals for my distortion sounds. Had a very hard time doing that with the Behringer.

I'd like to keep it under $150 if possible.

Any suggestions?

2. parkhill

parkhill Member

Tech 21 Blonde our Liverpool, depending on if you're looking for a fender or vox tone. I can't remember what they go for new but you can get them that cheap used all the time.

3. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

JD10 (or 20) Award Session Master...works great for me...and put a boost or stacked with something pre...see sig for my chain

4. JCJones

JCJones Member

Both the Behringer and the Joyo are Tech 21 clones, their versions might be a little better but I don't really know.

5. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

The Joyo AC Tone I have is a clone of the Liverpool. I'll have to try it through the PA before my next gig. I've used it in an amp's FX loop and had it function as the preamp stage of the amp and it worked fine there but I'm not sure about the cab sim in it, or if it even has it.

6. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

used the Joyo American Sound direct to a PA and it sounded great. Never tried the Tech 21 equivalent, but if you're short on cash the Joyo can get the job done for you

7. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

8. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

Sansamp GT2 cops some good fender Mesa and Marshall tones

9. Structo

Structo Member

For several years when I played at church I used a Line 6 POD XTL multi effect.
    Straight to PA.
    It was hard to setup because it sounded so different from what I was used to.
    But I got it dialed in and it sounded great.

When you go straight to PA, using amp/ cab simulations is key to get a nice full sound.