Best Album of 1986

HP Hovercraft

Amazing list of records! Great year. I was too young to enjoy most of those at the time (I was 11-ish), but a lot of those became favorites a few short years after.

KungFuLio

In my book, I know that I was surprised when "Graceland" beat out "So" at the Grammy's but, my fave was Joe Jackson's "Big World".

scottl

Chick Corea Elektric Band!! Great stuff.

Micker Stern Upside Downside is right there with it too....

HendrixVibrato

Have some experience...
I'm not a fan of just about any "country" music (well, there *is* Hank, of course, like everything he ever did, it was the most honest music I ever heard) , and I especially hate (yes, actually hate) almost everything that has been made in the last 30+ years...

But Guitars and Cadillacs was *great*.

The best thing to happen to country music in decades - because we finally got some real twang back into the guitars, and it *sounded* like good country music should, not the modern rock-based derivatives that make me want to puke. And at the time, they said Dwight was "too country" for country, critics bashed him left & right.

So I was smitten with Dwight for a while, and his guitar player turned out to be a really hot producer for a period of years after that album, darn near everyone wanted him in the studio doing their work.

Graceland - Paul Simon is far too pretentious over the past 25-30 years, IMHO. A shame, as there are great musicians on that album, and I'll never forget the press made such a huge deal at the time out of Paul Simon actually paying those guys a decent wage when touring - imagine that, getting praise heaped on you because you *don't* rape someone as hard as you can, what a concept. He damned well should have paid them well to play live, they made him *millions* off that album alone.

Guitars and Cadillacs was the real deal.

scottywompas

Master of Puppets is definitely up there.

I really liked Cinderella's Night Songs. That was way more rockin than their image led you to believe.

Scott

Venom "Eine Kleine Nachtmusic"
Talk Talk "The Colour Of Spring"

Diametric opposition.
Not much to choose from in '86.

Sidmore

no talent hack
Silver Supporting Member
While I listened to much of what is in the list, these are the albums that stand out as having been in heavy rotation in my tape deck

David Lee Roth – Eat ‘Em and Smile
VH - 5150
Cinderella – Night Songs
Bon Jovi – Slippery When Wet
Beastie Boys – Licensed to Ill
Ozzy Osbourne – The Ultimate Sin
Huey Lewis – Fore!
Megadeth – Peace Sells . . . But Who’s Buying?

NewbyRock023

Gosh, I was born in 88, my dad was 16 in 86 so his music became my music. I literally know nothing about most 90's stuff, I'd have to pick Master of Puppets. It got me playing guitar..... Then I discovered queensryche.... It was all over from there. Hats off to king diamond and 5150

Hand of Doom

Metallica – Master of Puppets
Slayer – Reign in Blood
King Diamond – Fatal Portrait
Metal Church – The Dark

Top 5

Oh and I started this whole mess. I was only seven in 76, but my uncles turned me on to music at an early age. Metal is where my heart is though.

jcn3

It's funny how different this list is than the '76 and '77 lists. I don't see anything "for the ages" here, but REM and Lyle Lovett are my favs.

Britishampfan

Metallica – Master of Puppets
Slayer – Reign in Blood
King Diamond – Fatal Portrait
Metal Church – The Dark

Top 5
My playlist in 1986 add in some Black Sabbath, Ozzy and always Zeppelin, for mellowing out of course.

Trending Topics