best all around blues pickup for strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by austratman23, Jul 24, 2008.

1. austratman23

austratman23 Supporting Member

Hey guys,
    Looking to replace my humbucker in my strat with a single coil or may change out my texas specials. What is the best all around blues pickup?

2. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

I like my Fralin Blues Specials with the bridge bass plate. I also hear good things about the Fralin Vintage Hots. That being said, check out Rio Grande, Van Zandts, Rocketfire, and Lollars. They're all great in their own right depending on what you're looking for.

3. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

4. hardys

hardys Member

I like Rio Grandes Tall Boys in the neck & middle and a Muy Grande in the bridge. These turned my bright, thin sounding Strat into fat and warm, yet retained decent clarity. I'm a blues player and dig these pups allot! They don't get much mention on this forum, but I put them up there with any of the boutique winders and they cost a bit less.

5. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

What kind of blues? It would help if you gave an example of the tone you are after. There's a world of difference between Jr. Watson, Robert Cray and SRV on a strat. All blues and all different pickup recommendations in my book.

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

+1 Blues Specials for me too.

7. nsriley

nsriley Member

I took a chance on a set of GFS '64 vintage staggers and really really love how they sound. Very vintage sounding with a complex midrange I wasn't expecting.

8. empty71

empty71 Member

Give the Bufz Purebred a shot. They're warm but still very articulate when overdriven.

9. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

CS 69 for the neck

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I had the Fralin Blues Specials, but I prefer the Lollar Blondes for better articulation and a more vintage tone. Depends if you want classic strat clarity or a little bump in the mids and bass. The hotter pups like the BS will give you a fuller, mid rich tone. Lollar Blondes and Tweeds are more vintage sounding with great clarity that rings through when you use a pedal or overdrive your amp.

11. MartinC

MartinC Member

Try the Suhr single coils ... just choose the level of output to taste.

12. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    The Fender Custom Shop pickups are good too. I have a set of '54s, and I like them. Low output. Maybe the '69s would give you a bit more "blues bite", but both sound really good.

Suhr pickups are top of the line too. For noiseless ones, do check out the DiMarzio Area pickups.

13. TVC

TVC Member

Any love for Bill Lawrence? Loving the ones in my Strat and the price and service were great.

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

So far, I like the Van Zandt Vintage+ set the best...but the wood surrounding ANY pickup is VERY important too as they have to compliment each other for best results. I view pickups to a guitar as a microphone to a singer...certain combinations just seem to work better than others.

15. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I have Lindy Fralins blues specials in my jap strat and Rio Grande's Fat Bottom Dual Calibrated set in my Texas Special Fat Strat, the Humbucker is split coil.

The Fralins in the Jap strat give a nice warm blues tone, but are limited in their range of tones, love the tones I get from that guitar.

The Rio Grandes give me a great range of tones for my fat strat, and its really how I would go with a fat strat, splitting the coil on the bridge humbucker really opens up the range of tones I get from this set.

Either way, or with the lollars, which I have been impressed with would be a good way to go. WCR pups seem to be popular on the site as well, you might try those

http://www.wcrguitar.com/

So far I have not installed a set of pups that did not dramatically improve my tone, and since I have the Texas Special I know the tone your currently getting and when I changed my pups I really loved that guitars tone.

16. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Here's my vote for tried and true, plain old Seymour Duncan SSL1 Vintage Staggered's. Incredibly good strat tone for a non-botique price. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that says they sound bad.

17. austratman23

austratman23 Supporting Member

thanks guys..i have a lot to choose from...i love john mayers tone...thats what I would lean more towards probably

18. hardys

hardys Member

Ain't we all lucky to have s-o-o-o-o many pickup selections to choose from today! :AOK

I look back to when I was a kid in the sixties and we had little to choose from. Swapping out parts & pups was unheard of for most players. Now it's a guitar smörgåsbord.

BTW...anyone here old enough to remember the Scandinavian smörgåsbord craze back then? Predecessor to the "All You Can Eat Buffet".:rotflmao

19. oscar100

oscar100 Member

20. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Haven't tried 'em myself but I keep reading great comments about Don Mare's Strat pu's. Anyone tried 'em yet?

Tom