Best all-around Eminence speaker

shooto

Silver Supporting Member
what do you think?- looking for wide-open, 3-D sounding, tight but fat lows, smooth highs with a maybe a lower mid focus-

billyguitar

C. Rex sounds best to me on Eminences sound page where they reamp the same licks thru all the different speakers.

Miles

I love the Red Fang, but different speakers with different amps will get you to where you want. For my amp, the Red Fang does just what you crave. But for another amp, a different emminence will do the trick. Speaker swaps are really tough and you can't just experiment without spending money and placing/replacing speakers which is kind of a PITA. I generally find a good middle of the road speaker, nothing too out there, and I find that I am more than satisfied, but my amp company really hit a home run by choosing the Red Fangs as their stock speaker.

Miles

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I have Wizard, two Governors, and a Texas Heat (plus a Celestion Greenback and Lead 80 to compare them too).

I have a high gain amp which is bright, and the Wizard sounds KILLER with it. Best speaker I have for that amp.

The Governor sounds really good with my Classic 30, which is not a bright amp. I just got the Texas Heat so I haven't even been able to try it yet. My greenback sounds good with any of my amps, and my friends Private Jack sounds pretty much the same. I was actually shopping for a Jack and got a steal deal on the Celestion or I would have bought the Emi.

I haven't tried the Tonespotter or Red Fang, but they will be my next two speakers to try. The big thing as mentioned above, is finding the one that's right for your amp/pedals/guitar setup AND tonal references. I know people who use one speaker in every amp they have. And that's cool if that's what works for you. But I want some variety, and BOY do the different speakers sound different. WAY more different than changing tubes etc.

p.s. Hey Eric! What's up man? Tell us about the Tonespotter and CRex compared to the others. I want to check out a Tonespotter and Red Fang but the Rex is interesting too.

Darth Tater

Silver Supporting Member
I've not heard a bad speaker at all from Eminence, but the one I keep sticking to is the Cannibus Rex, especially on my Soldano. Sounds like buttah!

jamison162

p.s. Hey Eric! What's up man? Tell us about the Tonespotter and CRex compared to the others. I want to check out a Tonespotter and Red Fang but the Rex is interesting too.

The Tonespotter is supposed to be a G12-65 type speaker; and I liked it well. I can't remember details now, been a few month but endd up going with Celestions over the Governor, Tonespotter, and CR I had. I do think the CR is a great speaker, esp. once broken in. I DID NOT like the recent Tone Tubby ceramic I tried out. I'de go CR over the TT everytime.

I'm putting together a 1x12 rig for church home use and there are a lot of speaker options to fill that cab; probably gonna go with a Freda Live 1x12 or Port City; Avatar Vintage is still an option also.

I'm still digging my G12-65's though.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
CR for 12s, Copperhead for 10s. The Big Ben I just got might be the best one of all. That is one seriously toneful speaker.

Seegs

"tight but fat lows, smooth highs with a maybe a lower mid focus"...that describes the Crex...I love that speaker in the right amp...something overly bright like a Deluxe where it counteracts the weaknesses of a Deluxe perfectly...

tonally...for tight lows and rounded/smooth highs I prefer the Governor as it has more articulation up top and not quite the low-mid focus of the Crex...

Chow,
Seegs

Lt_Core

Thoughts on the Man-O-War compared to the V30/Governor for my Classic 30 practice amp (rock cover band).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom