Best all around guitar.

jazzmonkey007

Hi, I started to play with a Gisbon SG VOS with vibrola and I have to say that it's got to be one of most versatile I've had so far. I can do a jazzy clean (very warm), with the volume around 7-8 and the tone at 2.5-3. It does a nice blues tone, the middle position is great and almost twangs. And IMO the best tone is on the bridge for an amazing rock tone. The trem is not the best, but it does the job when needed (no Vai or similar use of course).

What's yours ?

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
If you mean best all around from a versatility standpoint, I'll throw in two:

Gibson Nighthawk

Tone knob down, it's a Les Paul + 2 more settings, tone knob up and its a 5 way strat. Lot's of tones in this one, all good.

Fender Nashville Power Tele

Covers Tele, Strat + has a piezo bridge for credible acoustic sounds.

ducatisteve

My vote will go to either a basic HSS Stratocaster, or the PRS DGT. Both are comfortable and have an extremely wide array of very usable sounds. With the DGT, and depending on the Strat, the trems are stable and usable on all levels south of Herman Li.

I would not hesitate to show up at any (ANY!) gig with just this one gtr. Neck p.u. sounds like a big archtop, in between can be just about anything (in or outta phase), the bridge p.u. can be spanky Tele-like (clean), or rock-yer-ass-out-the-door with some dirt. Ther only complaint I have ever gotten is when the band leader got the following comment at a high-tone wedding: "Did your gtr player bring his ugliest gtr on purpose?". I guess it never occurred to me how a $50 gtr might clash with a $500 suit. Maybe I need a fashion advisor?

EricPeterson

readily available? a HSS Strat. If I had the money? a PRS 513.

Thank god I can own more than one guitar.

K-Line

Vendor
My personal fav is a hacked up JazzMaster thing. The body had a bad neck pocket (too deep, oops on my part) but was a nice single piece of ash. Could not sell so I tinkered with it and got the guitar up and playing. The bridge is flush to the body so no bridge sway. No rhythm circuit and a Lollar neck and a Lollar P90 JM bridge pup. It is ugly but it will always be my #1. The tones that come out go from a aggressive JM to almost tele-esque. I will not even post a pic, ashamed am I.

D.G.

I would not hesitate to show up at any (ANY!) gig with just this one gtr. Neck p.u. sounds like a big archtop, in between can be just about anything (in or outta phase), the bridge p.u. can be spanky Tele-like (clean), or rock-yer-ass-out-the-door with some dirt. Ther only complaint I have ever gotten is when the band leader got the following comment at a high-tone wedding: "Did your gtr player bring his ugliest gtr on purpose?". I guess it never occurred to me how a $50 gtr might clash with a $500 suit. Maybe I need a fashion advisor?

I'm fascinated by this guitar! What's the exact model and where did you get it?

farkas

Mid 1990's G&L S-500 with Bardens. I have 5 electrics, and this is the one that has shown up for every rehearsal and every gig since I replaced the pickups last year. The other guitars are starting to get really pissed off because the S-500 is getting 95% of my playing time. It covers every sound I need, plays like butter, and is solid as a rock.

hransbug

'68 Danelectro Coral Firefly- Vincent Bell Signature Series . . . . . the best all around lady is always the one in your hand!!

Harmony Stratatone, is it?

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
I always thought my strat was, but after listening to live tapes, it often doesn't get thick enough. My Riviera is quite versatile. I also think P90 guitars like a Jazzmaster can do quite a bit. Teles with a neck humbucker (especially if it's splittable) are workhorses too.

Stratobuc

Best all around for me would be a guitar I could do the most with, and for me - that's a Strat.

Trending Topics