Best All-Around Wah Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GuitarGuy510, Nov 23, 2005.

1. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a wah pedal sometime soon and I was checking here to see what some of you think the best option for me would be. Here are some things I'm looking for:

1) Something to do a variety of different wah tones/sounds.
    2) True (or close to true) bypass so that my tone isn't overly effected by having it between my guitar and my amp
    3) Switchless would be nice, but not a necessity
    4) Pretty reliable so if it does have a pot, I won't have to change it in a year or so

The two I was looking at so far are the Morley Tremonti Power Wah and the Crybaby series from Dunlop, or more specifically the 535Q or the Dimebag Darrell Wah from Hell model. Has anyone had any experience with any of those three, or have any suggestions towards other ones I might consider? I'm trying to stay under $200 on this one so boutique $400 wahs are out of the question for me! :p Thanks guys!

2. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

morleys are switchless but not true bypass, they have nice buffers though.

I have a bad horsie I've been using for oh 10 years or so that's been solid though it lacks flexibility, the more flexible BH2 (contour) would be much better but it is Not true bypass. Still the buffer is a good one.

Why not look at A RMC 2 or Clyde as well. Those are pretty great wahs.

The BH2 with contour (essentially a Q control) will run you about 120 or less.

3. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

I would go after a Fulltone Clyde or Clyde Deluxe. These are
    one of the best sounding & contrusted units made on the market today. Ive been using my Clyde for well over 5 years and it has yet to fail on me. Spend the extra cash, you will not regret it!

Teese RMC series wah's would be my other choice. RMC1 &
    RMC3 maybe a great place to start ?

Good luck!

4. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Well, looking at your rig you appear to be a high-gain type of player...

From your list - the dimebag wah will probably make you happiest. It cuts well through high gain.. yet is adjustable for a nice clean sound... it's got the built-in boost... and it feels good to step on... easy battery access... it'll sound killer with your digidelay

I know you said 200 bucks... but if you would like to spend 80 bucks more get the zvex... it slays through high gain the BEST

The fulltone and the teese are probably too subtle for your rig... the teese wizard wah would sound excellent.. but it's not as versatile as the zvex or the dimebag (my opinion) and not as aggressive

5. oxtone

oxtone Member

I have both the Fulltone Clyde, and the Teese Picture Wa. I've used Vox's and Cry Baby's, but nothing compares to the great tone of the Clyde and the Teese! Lately I've used the Clyde mostly, because I have a noise problem with the Teese that hasn"t been resolved. However, the Teese has a beautiful, warm tone. And the Clyde is great - built like a tank, and never a problem with it.

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Pro Analog Supaquack. It's been a nonstop love affair since I got it in March. I never grow tired of it and it keeps on singing :dude

7. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

RMC3 would be the best for what you are looking for. It doesn' get any more versatile than that.

9. vinni

vinni Member

I'm sorry to disappoint you all....

BUT THIS IS IT!!!!!

[​IMG]

The MSD Silvermachine MK2

And I own one! :dude
    (it's switchless b.t.w.)

Vinni

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Look for a used Teese Wah {I own the RM2} and never think of another Wah pedal again. He's the king of getting the sweep and tones {and slight boost} nailed perfectly. Of course, this is just my perspective. I owned and enjoyed a Fulltone Clyde but the sweep was a little too funky and the tone more nasally than what I wanted to hear. Also, I find the shape of the Reese more comfortable. Anyway, my Fulltone Clyde was an excellent wah pedal and it's my second favorite but the Reese really is a much better fit for me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i'm a budda boy me self!! suits me well!

12. straticus

straticus Member

I'm a wah freak. I've played and owned lots. I bought a Picture wah a few years ago. Sounds great with cleans, semi overdriven, super overdriven. Singles coils or HB'ers. My wah search is over.

13. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

I second the motion. Never even thought about stomping anything else since I got my Picture wah - no need :cool:

14. drolling

drolling Member

In keeping within your budget, I'm gonna second the suggestion that you try a Bud Wah. True-bypassed, adaptor jack and classic tone in a bullet-proof casing.

Almost as good, but even cheaper is the Vox 847. I got mine used and converted it to true-bypass w/a $10 DP/DT switch. I just added a Foxrox booster to this pedal (another $45) to help slice thru' fuzz & octavia pedals. Probably work good w/that fire-breathing amp of yours, too.

15. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I love my recently built Area 51 wah pedals. I was able to take an old Crybaby wah casing, retrofit the Area 51 electronics into it and now I can get the old school Clyde McCoy wah pedal sound. Plus the true bypass, Fulltone "Icar" tone pot and the 2.1mm DC jack that I installed brings the wah up to date with modern features. Dan Albrecht of Area 51 makes a great vintage Italian wah kit.

Guitar George

16. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

+1. I own several great wahs but the Picture wah is the best. It just sounds great with everything into anything. I have vintage Thomas, Jen, Colorsound, and DeArmond sitting in the closet since the Picture wah came along.