Best alternative for KoT?

Cem

Since KoT is not easily reachable. I can't even find one.

I need the best alternative out there for what it does.

So. Where to look at?

Cem

Xotic BB Preamp is also based on Bluesbreaker but they are not alike at all imo.

jocfan1

While they're both in the BB family, I wouldn't say the Morning Glory can sub in for a KoT. Pretty different takes on the circuit to my ears. Is the Prince of Tone not an option for some reason?

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
There are 3-4 KOTs for sale in the emporium right now.
2x Prince of Tone is exactly the same and has a few more options for slightly less money.

Jet Age Eric

The Mojo Hand Magpie sounds a lot like the KOT/POT in the PGS demo.
... but not at all in person.

There are 3-4 KOTs for sale in the emporium right now.
2x Prince of Tone is exactly the same and has a few more options for slightly less money.
I'd suggest a POT, too (and I prefer it to the KOT). Another option is a Big Lloyde FE-6, but I think the POT has a wider range of uses.

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you love the KOT or are you just curious? If the latter, you might look at other pedals that could do the job better--I know I'm in the minority, but I find the KOT kinda vanilla. :hide2 -E

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
Nothing is like the KoT. It is my main OD. All I can say is get on the list and get a POT to tie you over. The POT is the same thing...just 1/2.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Fwiw, I waited over a year for my KOT. It and the zen drive are the best pedal investments I've made. KOT has never left my board.

POT obviously, and a Green Rhino can sound close to the red side. The Green Rhino sounds great in general. Mike Campbell has said so for many years. If I did not have a KOT I'd have a Rhino.

kbee

Silver Supporting Member
I am on the KoT wait list and recently received an email from
AnalogMan confirming that. To the OT's point, here is a quote from
that email:

You might want to pick up another pedal if you need an OD soon, I would recommend one of our Boss SD1/808 mods for a cheap reliable awesome sounding pedal or a Maxon OD9/silver for the next best thing to a KoT, and true bypass too.
I wonder if this is a pre-PoT message?

Last edited:

Jet Age Eric

What do you like/recommend? I also found the KOT not very inspiring...
I really love the Rockbox Boiling Point (in boost mode) now that it's affordable. After years of being underwhelmed by everything, I think there've been some great releases this year: I thought the Lovepedal Dover Drive was really strong (albeit it has a limited gain range), ditto the Moog MF-Drive (but EQ gets finnicky at super high gain), Bogner Wessex (a little too floppy in the low end). Actually, the Seymour Duncan Dirty Deed is startlingly excellent at 12 v. I still prefer the Boiling Point, but for those who need to count pennies, it's a great option (it's not at all bad at 9v, but at 12 v it gets really competitive). For medium to low gain, the Rockbox Baby Blues is really excellent. -E

jocfan1

I do believe that note predates the PoT, though I could be mistaken. I'm pretty sure I saw it when I got on the wait list years ago, and it's hard to imagine Mike would have released the PoT if the silver OD9 were still closer to the KoT.

Trending Topics