Best Amp and Guitar Shops San Diego

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MarcFord, Apr 21, 2008.

1. MarcFord

MarcFord Senior Member

I will be visiting San Diego this week and was curious as to which shops to stop by and shop... Always looking for amps... D13, Two Rock.. etc... Vintage..

Thanks in Advance!

M

2. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

3. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

4. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

The Guitar Trader use to be good. They are just north of downtown where 163 and 805 join. Moze Guitars down by SDSU is a great little shop too. They are on the corner of El Cajon and College ave. Keep going East on El Cajon about a mile and there is a Guitar Center and another shop almost across the street from it. That Guitar Center use to get a lot of interesting used stuff in being so close to the college. Up in North County San Diego there is Buffalo Brothers as mentioned above. That is a very cool store. There is a nice breakfast/lunch cafe next door that's worth a try too. Also up in North County not too far from there, is Basson. They make some very nice guitar and bass cabs and some pretty interesting amps. They have a nice showroom and a little sound room to try out their stuff, complete with a few guitars. Email them and set up a intro with Shawn their customer service guy; he'll show you the place and set you up in the sound room. Have a carne asade burrito at Robertos or Albertos too if you get a chance.

5. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

For sure buffalo Brothers. Also try Freedom guitar.

6. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

SuperSoundMusic is the place for pedals and boutique amps and guitars...Buffalo Brothers is great for acoustic and good for electric guitars...go to SuperSoundMusic first...imo, Brian's the best guy to deal with in San Diego, period.

7. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Freedom guitar is a cool place. A really low cool stuff to crap ratio, but the cool stuff is really cool when they have it. Mostly vintage stuff.

Don't forget to visit carvin headquarters!! That place is a lot of fun and carvin products are pretty cool and unique.

8. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

Centre City Music (Downtown SD 6th and Broadway) is a key stop if you are a gibson man
    Buffalo Bros Guitars - Carlsbad, CA - Probably the best boutique acoustic shop in the West coast.

If you want to get ripped or get a good laugh at horrible vintage prices check out Freedom Guitars on El Cajon Blvd. If you offer them an honest amount for their stuff they get pissed off

9. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

You can also pick up my JRT while you are in town

10. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I believe Music Power, one of the FDP's sponsors is located in S.D. I got a sweet deal from them on an 07 2TSB Am Deluxe Strat "V".

11. MarcFord

MarcFord Senior Member

I would love to do so... lets chat regarding that. PM sent

M

12. jaclo

jaclo Member

Wow!! Times have changed my friend. Moze has moved from that location. http://www.mozeguitars.com/

The Guitar Center has also moved.

Guitar Trader sold the website name, I think, but they are still there as Music Power.

Also check out the Blue Guitar. http://www.theblueguitar.com/

Also Buffalo Brothers sister store: http://www.sdoldtimemusic.com/
    :D

13. thenine

thenine Member

yeah dont forget Carvin HQ in RB!

14. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

+1 Buffalo Bros. great place!

15. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

16. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Guitar Trader is still there, under the same name, same website. It's hard to find but the address is still on the website as a will-call center.

7120 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
    San Diego, CA 92111

GC is out off Grossmont Center Drive, toward La Mesa. They have been getting overflow from the Hollywood Store so there is a bit of interesting vintage gear out there. The GC in San Marcos usually also has a good variety of gear.

Buffalo Brothers has a decent amount of amps, but their sister store Old Time Music is entirely acoustic instruments.

Blue Guitar is also primarily acoustic instruments, not much amplification.

Center City is primarily a Gibson Guitar dealer, not much in the way of amplifiers. Mostly new Marshalls, but not many of them. http://www.ccitymusic.com/

Freedom Guitars has a huge selection of used and vintage gear in varying states of condition. Worth stopping by, and make sure to haggle if you can.
    http://www.freedomguitar.com/

Moze is decent, but small. Mostly acoustic with a bit of electric.

There are a variety of other small shops you can hit if you have a lot of spare time.

El Rayo Guitars off Adams Ave. occasionally has a good piece.

Music Pawn off El Cajon Blvd has a lot of used gear in the back room, but you need to talk to Todd and ask him specifically for what you are looking for.

Tecolote Guitar Works off Morena Blvd. deals mostly in art guitars and repairs. Interesting conversation pieces.

I feel like I am forgetting some, but if I remember more I will let you know.

17. MarcFord

MarcFord Senior Member

18. MarcFord

MarcFord Senior Member

wow, you were not kidding with centre music.. gibsons everywhere.... supersound.. later today!

HAythatsfunny - I would like to check out the jrt