best amp for an ethos.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SocraticTele, Dec 22, 2009.

1. SocraticTele

SocraticTele Member

I have an ethos on order (arriving April/May) and I'll be doing a systematic gear upgrade over the next year or so. I'm currently playing through a tweed Blues Junior that, quite frankly, is a little lackluster. I'm considering doing some of the BillM mods to it, or even sending it away to get hot-rodded. However, I'm thinking that I'll most likely keep it as is, use it as a practice amp, and just upgrade to a better amp for gigs and rehearsals. The Blues Junior doesn't really suck, and I've used it on gigs before with no problems. But... I know my guitar can sound better - I've heard it through other amps.

What I'm wondering is: what would be the best amp to get so as to match the Ethos pedal and bring the best out of it? I play in a funk/fusion/r&b band and need a strong clean sound that stands out in the mix without cranking the volume, but at the same time isn't shrill. For lead sounds, I try for a tone that, quite frankly, sounds like the bastard child of Scofield, Stern, Larry Carlton, with a bit of Charlie Hunter thrown in now and then. That's what I go for - according to the bass player, I rarely achieve it, lol. It could be because I'm playing through a strat. I don't care - I love that guitar.

Amp buying criteria:

-I'd like to pay less than $1000, either new or used.
    -If used, it has to be something readily available on ebay or the forums (I don't want to start some decades long search for a rare Garner combo, for instance).
    -It has to be tube.
    -It has to have reverb.
    -I'd like to have a master volume.
    -I'm ambivalent about channels or channel switching.
    -I'd like a fair amount of clean headroom.
    -I'm thinking minimum wattage: 20-30; and maximum: 50-60. Thus, anything between 20 and 60 would meet my needs in one way or another.
    -And I'd prefer a combo.

So, does such a beast exist?

-Socrates

2. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

A used Fender Super Reverb RI?

3. SocraticTele

SocraticTele Member

I'm wondering if the Fender Vibroverb Brown Tolex reissue would do the trick.

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Twin Reverb or Bandmaster.

5. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I would have mentioned the Pro Reverb too, but I find that my Ethos goes best with a really clean amp. The Pro Reverb has more of a grind to it than the Twin and Bandmaster IMO. YMMV

6. SocraticTele

SocraticTele Member

So the consensus seems to be Ethos + Fender = good...? That's easy enough. Thanks for the input.

7. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I use the Ethos through the clean channel of my Aiken Sabre for a little something different and it sounds fantastic. The clean channel, to me, sounds like a cross between a Fender Super and a Twin.

8. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

I've used my Ethos through several different amps. The best it ever sounds is through the house amp at a club I play twice a month. Red Knob Twin. Clean channel. Go for a twin. If you want to lift one, that is.

9. SocraticTele

SocraticTele Member

Does Fender make anything that sounds like a Twin but is, perhaps, less unwieldy? Or is that, more wieldy? Either is correct, I suppose.

10. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I'd suggest a Dumble ODS.

:roll:roll:roll

11. danel59

danel59 Member

I have different amps that I use mine through (although lately primarily direct to PA) however one of the best tones I remember with my Ethos was on a gig that had backline supplied and it was a Fender Pro Re-issue (Channel Switching etc) and after that gig I was seriously looking at trying to find one
    that is until I tried lifting it. Man it was heavy at least for me (neck and back issues) but the tone was amazing with that amp in both the clean and overdrive channels of the Ethos

Good luck

Dan