best amp for clean Strat tones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by adrianb, Nov 10, 2019.

1. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

2. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Answering this question would be much easier if the OP posted clips of the sound he was going for. For instance, I really like the sound of a Strat going through a Marshall Jubilee but I know it’s not for everyone.
    That said, you really can’t go wrong with a Fender guitar through a Fender tube amp.

The_Bell likes this.
  3. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

Fender HR deville (4x10)
    HRD 2x12

4. Phila67

Phila67 Member

For a noob; start out trying a strat through a Princeton Reverb (PRRI or custom 68) or any Fender amp has the capability to provide a "blackface" tone--deluxe, Super, Twin or even some of the modeling amps that can provide it. If you can afford PRRI or DRRI, I would start there.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Pick'n'strum, lcfparty35 and teleman1 like this.
  5. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

Roland Jc-120 or any Fender of the Reverb family

6. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I found that glassy/biting tone not in a particular amp, but with a particular pedal - a Fuzz Face, of all things. Plug a Strat into a (preferably germanium) Fuzz Face, and roll the volume off until it's clean. It's a magical cleaner-than-clean tone, and you'll immediately hear how Hendrix got his sound on songs like Little Wing. I take no credit for discovering this! I got it from a Pete Thorn video where he talked about it, tried it myself, and found the clean Strat tone I'd never been able to get before. It's both brighter and warmer than a full-volume "clean" amp sound.

7. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

An original Blackface Super Reverb with Alnico CTS was the best I ever used.

8. sleewell

sleewell Member

haven't played tons of amps but by far the fuchs tds had the best cleans i have ever heard.

Joe Perry likes this.
  9. mikeguitar471

mikeguitar471 Member

For me Best clean amp for strat is a Bassman 1960 original

10. journo

journo Member

11. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I've owned a lot of amps in my life, including several 70s-era Fender DRs and PRs and damned near every amp Mesa ever made, but the two I still have today in my old age that I play with my strats and teles are a Swart Space Tone Tremolo and a Valvetech Amplifier Company VAC-50. Don't even think of looking for anything else now; haven't for ages...

12. Jaji

Jaji Member

I use a Mesa Mark V on channel 1 in Tweed mode. I plug the head into a vintage style 1x12 with an EVM 12L and my Strat just sings with every note. I've even had sound guys compliment my tone.

Buck Woodson likes this.
  13. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

Fender cleans are brittle to my ears, go with a Vox circuit for great clean tones that chime. I love the neck pickup through a Vox circuit, you will be pleased as hell.

Dr. Z amps make reasonably weighted amps with EL84s that copy Vox flavor very well, the Maz 18 is killer.

Wyatt Martin likes this.
  14. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

Many fine suggestions already. End of the day you want a bright, clean amp, probably 50W or more for head-room. (My Friedmans both do great for strat cleans, but most Fender amps will do fine). Preferably something with a presence knob.

I would just say that the speaker/cabinet selection is going to be a key part of the equation too. I wouldn't go any darker than a Celestion greenback and to me, a Celestion Alnico can't be beat.

Some good speaker suggestions:
    *Alnico Creams (90w each)
    *Alnico Golds (50W each)
    *Scumback H series
    *Scumback Scumnico
    *Neo Creamback

Probably a semi-open back cabinet serves best.

15. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

OP, I received some great (and more focused) suggestions when I posted a few clips of my playing - in my instance I was looking for a step up from what I had.

Alternatively even a clip of someone else with a sound you are looking for would increase the focus of what people suggest. Otherwise it is hard to guess what you like.

Posters here are generally happy to listen and happy to share IME, especially when given really useful information about your goal.

Edit: budget is also helpul info. As would info about where you use it / volume / venue etc.

[​IMG]

SimAlex likes this.
  16. Pelagic

Pelagic Supporting Member

"Spank", to me implies "Sparkly" and makes think Black/Silver Face.
    "Chimey" makes me think Vox and variants.
    "Steely" check out Robert Cray playing Clubmans.
    "Warm" moves me to JTM/Tweeds.
    Etc.
    You gotta play them.

DV52 likes this.
  17. SimAlex

SimAlex Member

MIG 50 or '59 bassman, vol between 3/4.5, is basically a perfect single-coil clean engine. it is so loud–but it is also about the richest, deepest, roundest, most dimensional "clean" i've found.

Deluxe Reverb, vol 3-4.5, is also spectacular. a lot glassier, less "depth," but whoa.

18. xrcdan

xrcdan Member

carr rambler
    dr z z-lux
    dr z z-plus
    fender twin , super reverb , lots of different fenders

19. river_jetties

river_jetties Member

very subjective but a Bogner Shiva EL34 is nice! or a matchless independence

20. jgyn

jgyn Member

Hiwatt DR103.

Wyzard and Heiko like this.