Best Amp for Country

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by James77, May 21, 2011.

1. James77

James77 Member

Hey all! I'm a big Brad Paisley fan. I'm also a big Buck Owens and Don Rich fan. What amp could I get to play both of those on? I've been looking at twin reverbs and ac30's. Theres a video on YouTube where they are playing a twin reverb with a Paisley Drive pedal....I thought it sounded good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvDw4iFioWs

2. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I had a Dr Z Mazerati amp that was great for that bridge pickup Paisley sound. He plays pretty dirty. Maybe that pedal into a Twin will get you there, or close. He just uses different amps for clean and dirty.

3. illini

illini Member

Up until recently, Brad was still using his ac30 backstage with Dr. Z's on the stage. He is now using the Dr. Z's exclusively. Why not get what he is using? There are some great clips on Youtube with him demonstrating his setup.

4. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

Check out the Dr. Z Stangray.

5. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

As long as you don't want gain out of your amp, i can't imagine a better country amp then the Stangray. It's clean, but twangy and bold, thicker then a Twin, but still LOUD and clean.

cheers

6. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

I use an Egnater Renegade for country. 6L6's and EL34's that you can use independently or together.

I use the clean channel with a pretty hot pre amp setting, a modded Boss CS-3 compressor, and an Xotic AC booster for a light crunch. I get Paisley's vibe, and I have another channel (drive) for classic rock.

This amp covers all the bases and sounds great doing it.

the new Dr. Z Trainwreck gets you there in spades!! not much for cleans, but that amp can really cook.

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I use a Matchless Nighthawk. I like a little dirt just like Paisley and this amp gets me in the ballpark. If I need pristine cleans, I just roll the volume down on my ASAT Special and I'm there.

8. James77

James77 Member

I'd love to!! But a Z Wreck is like $3699! I was thinking I could get me a twin reverb for classic country, then when I wanted to get the Paisley tone....I could use a Paisley Drive pedal!

9. padavis

padavis Member

A twin is always a good base! That would work in my opinion.
    Check out these videos for some more killer country guitar work --
    http://youtu.be/XcjLvWCOgb0
    http://youtu.be/oeJHnkUKg_M

I may be wrong but it sure looks like Mr. Mason is using only a Twin in these videos... who knows what is offstage and who knows what I am missing haha but it sure looks like a twin to me!

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

What Paisley tone are you after, Hes used a lot of different amps in the studio. His tone is always changing as well. Don Rich...a Twin or a Showman. Paisley used a Fender with a JBL 15 inch for some of his early clean stuff. Hard to beat a Blackface Fender with the right speaker.

11. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

Paisley's amp tone is based on running el84 power tubes pushing celestion gold speakers. Most of the 18 watt amps out there will get you right into this territory, but the speakers are a huge part of that sound.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

In new amps also
    Check out the Bad Cat Black Cat, VVT Amps Fralin and the Gries 35.
    On a tight budget, you might also want to check out the Ceriatone DC 30
    clone.

13. gwr

gwr Member

I play country,more of the old stuff then the new,and I use a DR.Z mazerati 1x12 with a Jensen blackbird.I can dial in anything from Paisley to Don Rich to Santana to Tom Petty to Black Crows to,well you get the point, by guitar volume adjustment and of course an assortment of pedals. I HIGHLY recommend a mazerati for what you are trying to achieve,it has balls,punch and plenty of headroom and only has two,count 'em,two knobs,volume/tone so you don't spend time fooling and twisting,set it and forget it!

14. James77

James77 Member

What about a Maz 18 or 38? I checked Dr. Z's website, it said the Mazerati is dicontinued.

15. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Old Deluxe Reverb
    Just about any Fender Tweed amp
    ToneKing Imperial
    Swart SpaceTone
    Clark Beaufort
    Carr Rambler
    Matchless C30 or Clubman
    Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr.
    Dr. Z Wreck

Any of these will get you where you wanna be.

IMO,
    S.
    j

16. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Maz-40 SR here, 2-10 combo. Loud and clean (or dirty) with the big boys @ half the weight.