Best amp for East Coast Fusion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by barryberyr12, Oct 8, 2005.

1. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

I have been in a Scofield phase recently and I would love to nail his tone. I know he used to use the Mark I amp, and plays a currently a Vox AC 30 and sometimes a Matchless DC 30.

I would love to get an AC 30 amp, but is his amp a newer model or older. And I've also heard that the AC 30's aren't consistant, so its the kind of thing you need to hear in person before you buy the amp.
    Can you guys share your wisdom on this, and if you have any other amps that you would like to reccomend please please tell.
    I am playing through a Deluxe Reverb 65' Reissue and I am soo unhappy with my tone...no headroom, no juice, no character, just aint my bag. Thanks!

2. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

Damn, I would assume with all the Scofield lovers out there, there would be a little more help...

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

im a BIG sco fan. last night i was gettin some great sco-esque tones w/ my MAZ38 1x12 and a tki analog chorus/timmy. he uses the bridge P/U alot w/ the tone rolled down to about 7 or so...

hes also a big advocate for dynamic picking...when he plays jazz, and pics lightly, he gets one of the most heavenly modern jazz tones ive heard w/ out sounding like a cheesey contemp. mullet wanker.....

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

I didn't know the East Coast had it's own fusion.

:D

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    My comment exactly. "East Coast Fusion"?

So many classifications.;)

6. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

Well, you know, when I think of East Coast Fusion, I think of more Non Traditional Jazz like Scofield, Metheny, Joshua B., Stern, Newer Martino, Abercrombie, etc.
    When I think of West Coast Fusion I think of Heavier music like Henderson, Landau, Holdsworth, etc.
    Hey, I didn't make it up, it just sounded good to my ears:cool:

7. doc

doc Member

I think you just have the wrong amp. The Deluxe is a great amp, and I have to just smile at your comments on the tone - what you've got is not a lack of tone, its just not great for what you want it to do. There's not much that sounds like a Vox, partly due to the unusual structure of preamp into driver tubes - and a Fender sounds very little like a Vox. You could try some Yellow Jacket tube converters with EL-84s, at least then your output tubes would give you that thickness to replace the glassiness of the Deluxe, but it sounds like you'll probably need to trade amps.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't Scofield use a RAT that is always on? I think he has the gain very low and has the tone set dark. I remember reading that he was able to maintain his tone with rented amps by doing this.

Bryan

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I would put Wayne Krantz in that "east coast fusion" sub category. He's a monster player who has a steady gig at Stern's 55 bar and is good friends with Henderson... AND he plays a strat thru a Deluxe Reverb with a tube screamer. GORGEOUS TONE. Check him out and you may not want to ditch your DR.

http://www.waynekrantz.com

10. Phloored

Phloored Member

Maybe a VAC Hayseed 30 would get you there.....;)

11. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I love Sco's playing but never really considered his sound to be tone-ful. Some folks have said that he and stern epitomize jazz players with bad rock sounds.

Sco's tone seems to be the same, whether he's using a Boogie, or JC-120. I think the Rat pedal is the trick...

12. jzucker

Wait...Mike Stern owns the 55 bar?

13. rabbit

rabbit Member

Yes, I think he does and that´s what I would try before buying a new amp. Low gain on the Rat and the guitar (what Sco does) or the Rat set dark, using the neck pu.

(Also heard he uses Victoria amps now and then.)

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

barryberyr12 - what era of Sco do you like? His tone has changed quite a bit from his early years...

15. Ayan

Ayan Member

I am glad you said this before I read the thread, Jaz. :) I do agree with what you wrote, and I am one of those guys who thinks these guys are great players with less-than-great tone. However, I think Stern's tone on "We Want Miles," for example, is fine. It's the gratuitous use of distortion and mixing it with heavy chorus that I find hard to listen to at times.

Cheers,

Gil

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Uhhh...apparently not although that is the way it was presented to me. [...mutters something about know-it-all friends...] My bad! I wouldn't want to spread any disinformaton on the web:rolleyes: While i'm eating crow I may as well point out that according to his website Wayne krantz is now using a Marshall amp. But his recordings featuring the Deluxe Reverb do represent truly fantastic tone.

17. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

It`s been a couple of years since I `ve seen Wayne play but back in 98-2003 ,,,,can`t remember when or how many times I saw him ..he always had a blackface DELUXE ( NO reverb)...and was hitting the front end of it with a Lexicon ....lxp-1. lxp-5? ....I think some of the grind was a result of the hot input . What a player ....huh? I`ll never forget the time i showed up late and saw the cats on the sidewalk .....I was too busy talking to Will Lee to notice the guy on my left ....Looked familiar though ...Hey , how`s it going ? ...that kind of chat ...After saying goodnight since they already were done ....my friend says to me ..WOW that was cool ...Donald Fagen sitting in ! ....UGH ..That was who was standing next to me ...! Missed that sound and encounter .....Well guess it makes up for the time I stumbled in there and heard Mike Clark and Paul Jackson playing before Paul moved to Tokyo . And yes ...sat in with them ....Talk about East Coast Fusion

18. jzucker

I'm not a big fan of the MXR distortion plus into the Yamaha amp either...

19. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

worst of all to me .....he sends it out with those aluminum cone hartke speakers...ouch ! I guess that helps the dense voicings speak better on those chromatic chords BUT ....seems to me the mud is in the processing .
    Hey ..it works for him ...

20. barryberyr12

barryberyr12 Guest

I reallu like his newer tone to be honest...UberJam, A Go Go, Up all Night, Scorched, Enroute, and Ray Charles Tribute says it all for me.