Best amp for Fender and Marshall Tones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Denver Blues, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Denver Blues

Denver Blues Supporting Member

Just need a little feedback here. I have been looking at the Bogner Duende thinking that it would provide both Fenderish cleans and somewhat Marshally distortion tones all in one package. 2 channel, footswitchable plus trem and reverb. I would appreciate any feedback on this amp or other options that might work. Need to stay within 7 to 15,17 watts.
    Goodsell 17 Mark IV?? Have a 2x12 cab that rocks so would consider combo or head versions.
    Price range $800 to $1400
    Thanks!

2. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I wouldn't honestly call the clean channel of the duende fendery nor the dirty channel Marshally. It's a little more in the tweed camp and really just has its own thing going on. Leaving said that, man is it a good sounding amp. I had the 30 watt 6L6 version, but the 15 watt 6V6 version is a tad sweeter. Running the two channels simultaneously via footswitch gives a nice solo boost.

3. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

Hmmm....I wouldn't exactly call them "Fender" and "Marshall", but the Bogner Shiva has a totally killer clean and gain channel. The 6L6 perhaps more Fendery on the clean side. Plug into one...I think you'll find it really is one of the best circuit designs in the last few decades....arguably, of course.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

How bout a Fender or a Marshall?

5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I think the OP is looking for one amp that will do both.

I've heard good things about the Duende but not sure it will do 100% what you're after. But close enough.

6. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I think it is the unicorn of our times.

Best you'll get if you are really OCD is two separate amps with separate speakers. One suited for fender tones and the other for Marshall tones.

Combining them in one amp and one speaker box I would go for a fender blackface amp of some description and use a MIAB pedal.

7. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Mesa Lonestar may do the trick for you, special or classic. The head is in your price range.

Some of the Rivera amps do a good job of this as well. I'm not familiar w/ their newer heads but the Chubster combo does a pretty good job of F + M. I suspect the Venus 6 would do the job well.

8. 8len8

8len8 Member

Another Fender clean / Marshall distortion amp thread???? :horse

9. Phletch

Phletch Member

Or one of each with an A/B/Y. Anything else is going to be like drinking near beer - close, but...

Like Marvin and Tammy sang, "Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby."

10. Denver Blues

Denver Blues Supporting Member

Beating a dead horse to death? lol I appreciate the comments. Actually did the two separate amps for a while but too much to lug around. I will check out the Mesa and a Rivera. Had not considered those. Have not played through a Bogner, seems to be few around. Thanks for all comments, suggestions and humor.

11. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

12. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

The Shiva is the best I've found for doing Fender AND Marshall in one amp. I've had mine for 7 years now and I'm still loving it. No Trem tho - that'll be even harder to find in an amp that can cover both sides.

The Shiva also has a fantastic master volume and does bedroom levels pretty well. Having a 5-17 watt requirement isn't gonna help you here - those are still pretty loud amps.

13. timc

timc Silver Supporting Member

How about one of the modded baseman heads that pop up used from time to time, One channel Marshall, the other Fender Bassman.....I don't think it gets any better.....

14. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

I have heard that the Suhr PT 100 comes very close, but speakers make a all in one a compromise for me.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  15. pedrozepelim

pedrozepelim Member

16. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Part of the beauty of a Fender is the open back combo cab sound. Part of the Marshall beauty is the thump, tightness and girth of a sealed back 4x12. That in itself makes it quite a compromise to try to pull off both with just one amp. Not that you can't find something that ballparks both, but don't expect miracles on either side.

17. timc

Not disagreeing, just adding....I think Marshall made plenty of amps with open back cabs....most if not all of their combos were open back, as well as the famous Bluesbreaker of the Clapton era....depends on which of the many Marshall tones you are after....

tim

18. DV52

DV52 Member

If there was an amp that will do both WE WOULD ALL OWN ONE.

I did enjoy a few test drives with a Mesa RA 100 that was very nice.

And a Stiletto Ace. I am not spouting fanboy ,I do not own either.

19. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

You'll need to stop this fruitless endevor and get you a marshall and fender. Use them both at the same time and/or A/B choose.

20. timc

yep, totally agree, that's what I finally did (well using clones!), that way I can use speakers that enhance each amp....and they don't have to be large stacks either, small head and cab and small combo work just fine for me...like I said earlier, the only amp that I've ever heard that came close was a modded baseman, as it has the core circuit for both.