• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Amp for Hendrix?

Firebread

Hey I was wondering what you think the best amps for a Hendrixy sound would be. I'm thinking around 1,000-1,500 USD.

davess23

Gold Supporting Member
Get yourself a used Germino Monterey head, if you can find one near the high end of your price range, and sell a guitar you aren't using to get the bucks to buy a cab. There you'll be.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
'63 Fender Bassman. I just so happen to have one for sale in the emporium.

It's what Hendrix used for recording.

You'd want a fuzz face kinda pedal for Hendrix's distorted tone anyway. I've got a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, which is basically Jimi's silicon fuzz face.

sfarnell's Bassman should do the rest of the stuff for you.

Geetarpicker

Still, in my honest opinion alot of the tone we are used to hearing in his studio AND stage recordings are Hendrix with his JTM100 Marshall stack. An original is out of the question $ wise, but there are reissues. However these are quite loud amps, fairly expensive even the reissues, and not many are out there on the used market.

On that note a used reissue Marshall JTM45 is in the same department tone and gain wise, and takes pedals like a Fuzz Face and wah very well. They are also fairly common. A used one and a Marshall 4x12 would work very well and should be in your price range if bought used. You may even want an attenuator too unless you play fairly loud.

To me the JTM45 would give you a nice Hendrixy Marshall crunch without being as gainy or metal sounding as later era Marshalls. Then when you kick in the Fuzz Face you will be at Woodstock, albiet at more reasonable volumes than say three 100 watt plexi stacks.

I've owned several 60s era Fender Bassmans. Thought they would be a good affordable choice, they do tend to be cleaner stiffer sounding amps with even more of a mid scoop. Yes, they would do the Little Wing, Castles Made Of Sand thing very well. However they might sound a bit too harsh with a Fuzz Face or a floored wah. It seems Fuzz Faces seem to work best with Marshalls, which tend to round off the tone and EQ bandwidth a little bit by adding some natural amp distortion and smoothing out the highs. Yes a Bassman can get you there, but I think the Marshall will be even more authentic sounding.

Last edited:

Firebread

You'd want a fuzz face kinda pedal for Hendrix's distorted tone anyway. I've got a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, which is basically Jimi's silicon fuzz face.

sfarnell's Bassman should do the rest of the stuff for you.

So the Bassman would take well to Fuzz Pedals and wah and Overdrive and the likes?

BustedWah

I love you. That's the exact Fuzz Pedal I want to get. Perfect video for me.
Yeah I saw that video about a year ago and never forgot the tone. I'm going to have to think that pedal and the Bassman too! Try to watch as many demos of the Sunface as can though to make sure it's what you need.

If you do get it, let me know how it goes :D

bouteqtive

easy. ceriatone jtm-45 or similar marshall clone (check ebay regularly). Then get yourself some sort of fuzz face, maybe an octavia if you feel so inclined, and a solid wah pedal. you're there. (except, of course, the whole "jimis hands" thing :) )

valcoholic57

St

. It seems Fuzz Faces seem to work best with Marshalls, which tend to round off the tone and EQ bandwidth a little bit by adding some natural amp distortion and smoothing out the highs. Yes a Bassman can get you there, but I think the Marshall will be even more authentic sounding.

Although my FF sounds better through my blonde bandmaster than my bandmates 72 super lead....for him....nothin better than the muff

Trending Topics